Miso Ginger Edamame Slaw, a light and fresh vegan take on traditional coleslaw featuring green and red cabbage, edamame and a miso ginger dressing.
The end of summer is near, the markets are full of produce and all I can think about is trying to eat as many summer vegetables as I can before the cold weather sets in. The beginning of September is a great time for produce; still warm enough for summer favorites but the fall gourds and squash start to sneak in.
The end of summer also means enjoying the summer weather with picnics and parties. Picnics always have the best food: fresh fruit salads, cold pasta salads and refreshing cocktails.
However, they also have one of my most-hated foods: coleslaw.
As a child I HATED coleslaw. My disgust with mayonnaise knew no bounds and coleslaw was therefore high on my list of ‘no’ foods.
However, as I aged and became (hopefully) wiser I realized coleslaw does not have to be covered in mayo. Coleslaw—which is generally made from sliced cabbage, shredded carrots and tossed in a mayo-based dressing—can be even more delicious with a fresh flavorful (and mayo-free!) dressing.
Enter my favorite (and so easy!) Miso Ginger Dressing.
I’ve mentioned before on social that I’m challenged when trying to recreate my favorite Asian flavors, however I have learned to master one thing: a dressing made of miso and fresh ginger with a touch sweet and spice.
On salads, on salmon or on grilled or roasted vegetables, this spicy miso ginger dressing is one of my favorite go-to sauces and pairs perfectly with the crunch of cabbage and edamame to make this salad a flavorful summer favorite.
Love this easy Miso Ginger Edamame Slaw?
Try one of my other favorite vegan recipes to get your veggies in. Put more plants on your plate!
- Vegan Fusilli Pasta Salad
- Chili Lime Cauliflower Tacos
- Summer Peach Panzanella Salad (remove the cheese to make it vegan)
- Grilled Pineapple with Mango Banana “Nice” Cream
Edamame Slaw Salad
- 1 head green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 head red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 4-6 carrots, shredded
- 2-3 cups edamame
- 1 cup cilantro
- 3 tablespoons sesame or other oil
Miso Ginger Dressing
- 1 teaspoon miso
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon liquid sweetener (maple or agave syrup)
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- Juice of one lime
- For Salad: Toss sliced green and red cabbage, shredded carrots, edamame and cilantro into a large salad bow.
- For Dressing: Combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until well blended, but not completely smooth.
- Combine the dressing with the salad and enjoy!
- Storage & Leftovers: Because cabbage, edamame and carrots are vegetables that hold their structure well, this salad is unique in that it can be made (and tossed with dressing!) and eaten for up to four days after.
Serving Size:1 servings (about 2 cups)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 345Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 416mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 17gSugar: 16gProtein: 24g