Grilled Pineapple with Mango Banana “Nice” Cream
Grilled Pineapple with Mango Banana Nice Cream topped with fresh coconut and a bourbon sauce drizzle, a fresh and tasty tropical summer treat!
As I’ve mentioned before, I have not always been a fan of grilling fruits and vegetables. In fact, warm fruits of any kind – baked, poached, fried or sautéed – were never appealing to me until recently.
Oh, how times have changed.
You know how parents always say they could never choose a favorite child, how they love all their children in different ways? That’s how I feel about choosing a favorite fruit or vegetable.
Except deep down I really love pineapple the best. So much so that I actually tattooed on on my body.
I’ve since come to learn that pineapples are the symbol for many things: friendship, hospitality, warmth, the tropics…and also apparently it’s a code word for being a swinger. I had no idea.
So because I love me some pineapple so much, and because I wanted to hop on the vegan nice cream trend train, I decided to make Grilled Pineapples with Mango Banana Nice Cream to incorporate my second favorite fruit: mangoes.
What is “nice” cream? How do you make it?
Nice cream is a clever spin on ice cream, but it is dairy free and made from blended frozen fruit, usually bananas. Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you may have noticed nice cream has been dominating social media lately. So of course I had to try it.
I tested making nice cream a few different ways before posting this recipe, but I found that slicing fruit into small chunks and blending with a small amount of juice right before serving (strong blender or food processor needed) produced the best taste and avoided freezer burn. I attempted blending beforehand but scooping was near impossible after and it had an icy, not creamy, texture.
This Grilled Pineapple with Mango Banana Nice Cream recipe is one of my favorite summer creations and is perfect for a cookout or summer pool party. It’s also a fun recipe to make and would be a perfect (and healthy!) dessert to make with children.
Oh, and did I mention it’s vegan? Delicious, healthy and sustainable!
Like this Grilled Pineapple with Mango Banana Nice Cream recipe?
Try another of my favorite healthy dessert dessert recipes!
- Hazelnut Liqueur Affogato: 3 Ingredients, 5 Minutes
- American Flag Fruit Platter: Healthy & Easy!
- Baked Figs with Maple and Creamy Brie
- 2 mangos
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup fruit juice (I used pineapple)
- 1 large pineapple
- Bourbon sauce: 1/4 cup bourbon 2 teaspoons brown, white or powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 2 teaspoons brown, white or powdered sugar
- Optional: coconut flakes for garnish
Mango Banana Nice Cream
- Slice bananas and cut mangoes into small cubes. Freeze at least two hours (I froze overnight). When ready to serve, blend frozen bananas and mangoes with fruit juice to desired consistency.
Grilled Pineapple with Bourbon Sauce
- Slice top and bottom off of whole pineapple and then slice into 1" thick slices. Grilled over medium heat for 3-5 minutes each side, or until warm throughout with brown grill marks.
- For bourbon sauce: Heat bourbon and sugar over medium heat until liquid is reduced and becomes thicker.
- To serve: Serve warm pineapple with a scoop of Mango Banana Nice Cream and drizzled bourbon sauce. Garnish with coconut flakes.
- Mango Banana Nice Cream can be stored in freezer for at least a week, possibly longer (mine only lasted a week before I ate it all!).
Serving Size:1 pineapple slice with 1 scoop nice cream
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 244Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 54mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 5gSugar: 31gProtein: 2g