Spicy Sweet Potato Carrot Soup, a simple chipotle-spiced yam and carrot soup made with chipotle, cumin, and paprika. Made in the Instant Pot or stovetop, this one-pot plant-based soup is perfect for fall!
In a season when pumpkin has completely taken over every latte, smoothie, and soup, sometimes fall calls for something a little different. Something spicy with a bit of sweetness — like this spicy soup made with sweet potatoes and carrots!
The natural sweetness of root vegetables like sweet potatoes and carrots lends perfectly to the strong spice of chipotle, paprika, and cumin. Add a bit of ginger and garlic and a touch of maple syrup, and this vegan one-pot soup is the perfect choice when you’re tired of pumpkin in every dish this autumn.
Ready to learn how to make this plant-based, gluten-free, 30-minute carrot potato soup? Let’s do it!
How to make this Spicy Sweet Potato Carrot Soup (Instant Pot or Stovetop!)
This sweet potato and carrot soup is made with spicy chipotle powder, paprika, and cumin for a flavorful yet slightly sweet and creamy vegan soup that’s perfect for fall. It can be made in a pressure cooker or in a large soup pot on the stovetop (the following instructions are for the pressure cooker, but instructions for both Instant Pot and stove top are in the recipe card below).
The first step to make this Spicy Sweet Potato Carrot Soup in the Instant Pot is to saute the onion in olive oil on the saute setting until the onion begins to soften, or about 3 minutes. Next stir in minced garlic and ginger until they release their aromatics, or about 1 minute.
Once the onion, garlic, and ginger are fragrant, add the cut sweet potato and carrots. Then add the spices — cumin, chipotle powder, and paprika — as well as a bit of maple syrup to soften the strong spice flavors, and stir well to combine.
Pour in the vegetable broth (do you make your own broth using vegetable scraps?) and a pinch of salt, and then cover the pressure cooker with the lid and cook on the high pressure soup setting for 20 minutes.
When the soup is done, remove the lid carefully after releasing the pressure and blend the soup with an immersion blender until it is completely smooth. Serve the soup with your choice of garnishes — we love crispy roasted pumpkin seeds, a bit of cilantro, and a drizzle of maple syrup or coconut cream.
Chipotle-Spiced Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup: Tips, tricks, and tools
This easy sweet potato and carrot soup is super simple to make and comes together in less than 30 minutes in the Instant Pot, but there are a few tips and tricks to streamline preparation and get the most out of your ingredients.
Be mindful of the ratio of liquid broth to vegetables if you’re using a pressure cooker. My main gripe when I first began cooking blended soups in an Instant Pot is that I never could get the broth to vegetable ratio right, so I either had a soup that was too thick or too thin. It’s much easier to salvage a too thick soup than a too thin soup, so my suggestion is to start with 6 cups of broth and then add more afterward if needed to make a soup thinner.
Start with a small amount of chipotle powder — you can always add more later! When testing this recipe I added way too much chipotle powder to start and the soup was inedible because of the spice. If you love spicy food (like us!), you can always add more later.
Make your own vegetable broth. Want to reduce food packaging, food waste, AND save money during soup season? Make your own vegetable broth using the vegetable scraps you would normally throw away each week.
Love this simple carrot and sweet potato soup recipe?
Check out our other fall vegan soup recipes:
- Creamy Vegan Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- White Bean Kale Quinoa Soup
- Spicy Butternut Squash Chili
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Sage Soup
Did you make this Spicy Sweet Potato Carrot Soup? Leave a comment below and rate the recipe to let us know how it turned out. Save this autumn-inspired soup recipe for later by pinning to your favorite fall Pinterest board and make sure to tag me on Fork in the Road’s Instagram to show me your sweet potato soup creations!Print
Spicy Sweet Potato Carrot Soup
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings (10 cups) 1x
- Category: Soups
- Method: pressure cooker, boilng
- Cuisine: American, vegan
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 5 medium sweet potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 1 pound carrots, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or agave nectar
- 6 cups (180ml) vegetable broth*
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Optional garnish: crushed pumpkin or sunflower seeds, cilantro, coconut cream, sprinkled chile powder
Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker Recipe Instructions
- Set Instant Pot to saute and allow to come to medium heat. Add olive oil and onion and cook until onion begins to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger, cooking 1 minute more or until very fragrant. Add sweet potato, carrots, cumin, chipotle powder, paprika, and maple syrup and stir well to combine all ingredients.
- Add vegetable broth and salt, secure Instant Pot with lid, and cook on high pressure soup setting for 20 minutes.
- When soup is done, manually release the Instant Pot pressure, taking care to only remove lid when all pressure is released. Stir the soup to combine, then blend with an immersion blender until the soup is completely smooth. Serve with your choice of garnishes.
Stovetop Recipe Instructions
- To a large soup pot over medium heat, add olive oil and onion and cook until onion begins to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger, cooking 1 minute more or until very fragrant. Add sweet potato, carrots, cumin, chipotle powder, paprika, maple syrup, vegetable broth, and salt and stir well to combine all ingredients.
- Increase heat and bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- When soup is done simmering, blend with an immersion blender until the soup is completely smooth. Serve with your choice of garnishes.
*Notes: if soup is too thick after cooking and blending, add a bit more vegetable broth until desired consistency.
Prep Ahead: soup can be made up to four days ahead of time if not frozen, months ahead of time if frozen and reheated (see freezing instructions below)
Leftovers and Storage: store soup in a pot or glass storage containers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days; freeze in freezer-safe storage containers for up to two months (possibly longer, however we did not test longer than 8 weeks). To reheat, thaw soup and bring to a boil in a soup pot. Do not thaw frozen soup and then refreeze.
Nutrition notes: This soup is completely plant-based and gluten-free. Nutrition information is calculated on ⅙ of the recipe, which is about a 12 ounce (Xml) bowl. This sweet potato and carrot soup is high in fiber, vitamin A, and provides 4 grams of plant-based protein per serving.
- Serving Size: 1 serving (1.5 cups)
- Calories: 266
- Sugar: 12g
- Sodium: 250mg
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 52g
- Fiber: 8g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: sweet potato and carrot soup, vegan, soup, pressure cooker