White Bean Kale Quinoa Soup
White Bean Kale Quinoa Soup, a simple one-pot plant-based soup made with cannellini bean, quinoa, kale, and lemon that comes together under 40 minutes. A perfect freezer-friendly meal prep recipe!
You know that feeling when you're home from work or school after a busy day and you want something cozy and comforting, but you don't want to spend two hour making it? I feel you, I've been there. And I've got the perfect recipe for you.
This White Bean Kale Quinoa Soup is the perfect solution to your weeknight dinner woes: a simple one-pot plant-based recipe with minimal ingredients you likely already have on hand. And it comes together in under 40 minutes…and make enough for lunch leftovers the next day.
Ready to learn how to make White Bean Kale Quinoa Soup? Let's do it!
How to make White Bean Kale Quinoa Soup
This vegan white bean soup with quinoa and kale is one of my favorite easy one-pot recipes that is as low maintenance as it gets, which makes it a great option for busy weeknights. Here's what you'll do:
- In a large soup pot or dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic and sprinkle with oregano (dried or fresh is fine) and cook until the onion and garlic are soft, about five minutes.
- Next, add the white beans, quinoa, and the vegetable broth (do you make your own?) and increase the heat to bring the soup to a bowl.
- Once soup has begun to boil, reduce it to a low simmer and cook for about 20 minutes, or until the quinoa is cooked throughout and the soup has started to thicken.
- Finally, add the kale, a squeeze of lemon juice, and lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Let the soup cook another 2-3 minutes so the kale gets soft and then serve with lemon zest as a garnish.
That's it! An easy, flavorful, and healthy soup that's packed with plant-based protein and fiber. Pair it with a simple leafy greens side salad and you have yourself a comforting cozy dinner.
White Bean Kale Quinoa Soup: Tips, tricks, and tools
This one-pot bean and quinoa vegetable soup is an easy weeknight dinner recipe that comes together in under 40 minutes, but there are some tips and tricks for streamlining preparation.
- Invest in a pot for soups. A large soup pot or dutch oven is an essential kitchen tool for green eaters because soups and stews using seasonal ingredients are a great options for using up those farmer's market vegetables before they go to waste.
- Make enough for lunch the next day. Only feeding two or even four people? Cook like you're feeding double the amount so your time spent cooking stretches from one meal to two or three. Store extras as leftovers for easy work lunches all week.
- Stock up on freezer-friendly food storage. One of our favorite ways to extend the life of our food is to freeze leftover soups and stews to pull out one, two, or even three months later. We do this by keeping a good amount of glass storage containers on hand.
We hope you love this simple White Bean Kale Quinoa Soup, it's:
- a simple recipe that's perfect for weeknights, as it comes together in only 40 minutes.
- a great option for meal prep days; make it once and you'll have easy lunches all week.
- a great freezer-friendly recipe that you can pull out weeks, or even months, from now.
- packed with plant-based protein from the quinoa and beans, plus a healthy dose of fiber and vitamin C.
Did you make this White Bean Kale Quinoa Soup? Leave a comment below and rate the recipe to let us know how it turned out. Save this vegan one-pot bean soup recipe for later by pinning to your favorite winter Pinterest board and make sure to tag me on Fork in the Road’s Instagram to show me your soup creations!
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 can (15oz) white cannellini beans, drained
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 quarts (8 cups) vegetable broth
- 2 cups kale, shredded
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, saute onion and garlic with olive oil and oregano until soft, about 4-5 minutes. Add drained white beans, quinoa, and vegetable broth and increase heat to bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a low simmer and cook covered for 20 minutes.
- After soup has cooked and has thickened, add kale, lemon juice and lemon zest, and salt and pepper to taste. Let cook 2-3 minutes more so kale softens, then remove from heat and serve with sprinkled lemon zest.
- Tools needed: dutch oven, large soup pot
- Make ahead: this simple plant-based quinoa and bean soup is a great make ahead recipe that's perfect for meal prep days
- Leftovers and storage: store soup in glass storage containers in the refrigerator for up to five days, and in the freezer for up to one month. To reheat bring soup to a boil in a pot and season as needed.
- Nutrition notes: this White Bean Kale Quinoa Soup is high in plant-based protein, fiber, potassium, vitamin C, and vitamin A.
Serving Size:1 serving (1.5 cups)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 232Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 371mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 8gSugar: 1gProtein: 11g