Crispy Cabbage Leaves Chips, a tasty and easy way to make a crunchy snack out of cabbage greens. Ready in only 10 minutes!
Step aside kale, there’s a new chip in town: cabbage chips! It’s true, baked cabbage leaves turn into crispy chips like kale chips when baked in the oven and can be enjoyed as a snack on their own or added to salads for a crunchy kick.
Ready to learn how to make crispy chips out of cabbage leaves? Let’s do it!
- Cabbage: A mild-flavored leafy green that’s typically used in salads or soups. In this recipe, it’s combined with oil and spices, then baked into a crispy snack.
- Olive oil: Use olive oil to coat the cabbage leaves, which is what gives them the chip-like crunch after being heated in the oven. Don’t have olive oil on hand? Avocado, canola, or other high smoke point oils can be used as an alternative.
- Spices: Just a little salt and pepper is all you need to add flavor to cabbage chips. You can also add your own seasonings and flavors, like garlic powder, nutritional yeast, or paprika.
- Tools you’ll need: You’ll need a few kitchen staples to make homemade vegetable chips including a baking sheet, mixing bowl, and spatula. If you prefer, you can cut your clean-up time by tossing the cabbage in oil directly on the baking sheet rather than in a bowl.
🥣 How to make (step-by-step photos)
1️⃣ Step One: Wash and prep cabbage leaves
First, cut the cabbage leaves from the white stalk. Submerge the cabbage leaves for a few minutes in a bowl of cold water. Remove as much dirt from the leaves as possible by stirring them in the bowl with your hands.
Dry the leaves with a salad spinner or lay flat to dry. Once they’re dry, place them into a bowl.
2️⃣ Step Two: Preheat the oven + prep the greens
Next, preheat your oven to 400° F (200° C).
While the oven preheats, place cabbage leaves and 2 teaspoons olive oil into a mixing bowl. Massage until both sides of the leaves are completely covered in oil.
Grease a sheet pan with the remaining olive oil. Place greens and a pinch of salt and pepper on the pan. Add any other flavors or spices that you’d like,
3️⃣ Step Three: Bake cabbage leaves until crispy
Roast cabbage in the oven for approximately 8-10 minutes. Make sure to flip the leaves halfway through for full crispiness.
Once the leaves are crispy enough, take them out of the oven. Eat them right away for the best flavor and crunch!
❓ Recipe questions + quick tips
Crispy cabbage is very easy to make. Simply cut cabbage leaves from the stalk, wash them to remove dirt, combine with oil and spices, and finish by baking them in the oven. For full crispiness, make sure to toss them halfway through baking.
Cabbage is a versatile leafy green that can be prepared in many different ways. You can make salads with it or mix it into soups and stir-fries. Additionally, cabbage makes for a delicious side dish when roasted or steamed. Another way to prepare cabbage is by baking it and making into a chip-like snack.
Due to its mild flavor, cabbage goes well with just about anything! You can pair it with other vegetables, like carrots, bell peppers, cabbage, eggplant, or green onions. It can be combined with a variety of spices and seasonings like garlic, ginger, and lemongrass.
💡 Ideas for seasoning
I used a simple combination of oil, salt, and pepper to season our cabbage chips. However, the seasoning possibilities are endless!
- Sea salt and vinegar: For a salt and vinegar chip flavor, pour a little vinegar and a sprinkle of sea salt and fresh cracked pepper over the greens before baking.
- Lemon juice: Squeeze a small amount of lemon juice over baked cabbage chips for a kick of flavor.
- Garlic and red pepper flakes: Combine cabbage leaves with minced garlic before roasting, then add a pinch of red pepper flakes for a spicy snack.
- Nutritional yeast: Add a plant-based “cheesy” flavor to your cabbage chips with a sprinkle of nutritional yeast!
🧊 How to store
- Refrigerator storage: Store leftover cabbage chips in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Freezer storage: I do not recommend freezing as the cabbage texture will not hold after thawing.
♻️ Sustainable kitchen tips
Making this recipe is a great step to take to reduce food waste. Take your ingredients even further with these tips:
Make this recipe during cabbage season! Stock up on cabbage at the height of its growing season. While cabbage is in season year-round in California, you can find out when it’s seasonal near you here.
Save the scraps. Keep the stalk and any other scraps you accumulate from cabbage. Use in food scrap vegetable broth, which can be used to make soups, for cooking grains, and to mix into sauces.
Store them properly. If you have leftover cabbage chips, make sure to keep them in an airtight container so you can use them again. Eat the leftovers within four days for the best quality and flavor.
👉 More baked leafy green recipes
Crispy Cabbage Leaves Chips
- 1 baking sheet
- 1 head cabbage cored and leaves removed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- Wash cabbage: Fill a large mixing bowl with cold water and submerge 1 head cabbage leaves, stirring or moving the leaves around with your hands to make sure as much dirt is removed as possible. Next, remove the leaves from the water and use a salad spinner to remove water and put into a bowl or lay flat to dry (about 15 minutes).
- Preheat oven and prep greens: Preheat the oven to 400° F (200° C). To a medium mixing bowl, add dry cabbage leaves and half of the 4 tablespoons olive oil. Using your hands, massage the greens to coat them completely in oil. Add the remaining olive oil to grease a baking sheet, then add oiled greens and sprinkle with minced 2 cloves garlic1 pinch salt and pepper. Add any additional desired spices, like a sprinkle of garlic powder, nutritional yeast, or a sprinkle of lemon juice.
- Roast cabbage: Place the baking sheet into the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes, flipping the leaves with a spatula halfway through baking so they get crispy on all sides. Once they're completely crispy, remove from the oven and eat immediately for best flavor. Enjoy!