Homemade Sourdough Croutons
Homemade Sourdough Croutons, an easy homemade croutons recipe using leftover sourdough bread. Only 3 ingredients and 15 minutes!
After learning to make croutons from sourdough bread, you'll never go back to store bought! You can make them in a pinch with a hearty loaf of leftover sourdough bread.
👉 Here's why you'll LOVE this do-it-yourself sourdough croutons recipe:
- It's quick and easy. These croutons come together with just a few ingredients and 15 minutes of your time.
- It's a way to use leftovers. Making homemade croutons is a great way to fight food waste by using up stale sourdough bread that you would have thrown out.
- You can make it your own. This recipe's flavors can be tailored to your liking with different spices and seasonings. Experiment with garlic powder, parsley, oregano, basil (and more!) until you find your favorite.
- It's versatile. Add sourdough croutons to your favorite dishes, like soups, salads and stews. They can even be enjoyed as a snack on their own.
Are you ready to learn how to make croutons from sourdough bread? Let's do it!
🥖 Ingredients you'll need
Homemade sourdough croutons are delicious, super simple, and easy to adjust based on your tastes. There are so many different substitutions you can use to make them the way you like. Listed below are our favorite ingredients to use for sourdough croutons.
- Sourdough Bread: The key ingredient in croutons is bread! Using sourdough as a base makes them extra yummy. Don't worry if you don't have sourdough bread on hand, this recipe can also be made with French bread, ciabatta, and rye bread.
- Olive oil: Adds rich flavor and makes croutons extra crispy when baked. You can use other oils, like canola, in this recipe as well.
- Salt and pepper: A tiny amount of salt and pepper is all you need for simple flavor.
- Optional Ingredients: Experiment with spices like garlic powder or dried herbs like parsley, oregano, or basil. They'll make your sourdough croutons burst with flavor.
🥣 How to make (step-by-step photos)
1️⃣ Step One: Preheat the oven + get the bread ready
Start with preheating your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Cut the sourdough bread loaf into 1 inch thick slices, then cut each slice into 1 inch cubes. Put the bread cubes into a large mixing bowl.
2️⃣ Step Two: Add oil + spices
Drizzle olive oil over the sourdough cubes, then add a pinch of salt and pepper and your favorite optional spices.
Then give the sourdough a good toss to coat them well with oil and spices.
3️⃣ Step Three: Bake the croutons until crispy
Spread the oiled and seasoned sourdough bread cubes onto a baking sheet.
Oven-bake for 10-15 minutes, or until croutons are crispy and golden brown. Turn them over halfway through to cook on all sides.
When finished, remove the bread from the oven and allow it to cool down. After the sourdough croutons have cooled, serve on top of salads or soups. Store in an airtight container on the countertop for up to 5-6 days.
❓ Questions + quick tips
When stored in an airtight container, homemade croutons can last at room temperature for 5 days. If you store them in the refrigerator, they last for approximately 6-7 days.
One of the best ways to use sourdough discard is in homemade croutons. You can also use it as an ingredient in pancakes, biscuits, crackers, pretzels, pizza crust and other baked goods.
Do-it-yourself croutons can be made from leftover stale bread in a few easy steps. First, you cut bread slices into cubes and toss them with olive oil and spices of your choice. Then, you bake the cubes in the oven until crispy.
💛 More homemade croutons recipes
Serve your DIY sourdough croutons in these tasty recipes:
Looking for other ways to make croutons? Try making homemade croutons with stale ciabatta bread or crouton from leftover rye bread.
- 1 loaf sourdough bread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional ingredients: spices like garlic powder or dried herbs like parsley, oregano, or basil
- Preheat oven + prep bread: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Cut sourdough bread loaf into 1 inch thick slices, then cut each bread slice into 1 inch cubes. Place the cubed sourdough pieces into a large mixing bowl.
- Add oil + spices: Drizzle olive oil over the sourdough pieces, then sprinkle in a pinch of salt and pepper and any desired optional spices. Toss to combine.
- Bake until crispy: Spread the oiled and seasoned sourdough bread cubes onto a baking sheet. Baked in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until the croutons are crispy and beginning to brown, flipping once halfway to cook on all sides. When the bread is done baking, remove from the oven and let cool.
- To serve + store: After the sourdough croutons have cooled, serve on top of salads or soups. Store in an airtight container on the countertop for up to 5-6 days.
- Recipe notes: This crouton recipe is made with sourdough bread, but any type of bread can be used. We like ciabatta bread, rye bread, or a thick whole grain loaf for homemade croutons.
- Leftovers + storage: After croutons have cooled, store in an airtight container at room temperature for 5 days, or in the refrigerator for 6-7 days. We do not recommend freezing as the croutons will lose their crisp texture after thawing.
- Nutrition notes: This recipe uses all plant-based ingredients, making it suitable for vegan diets.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 119Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 243mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 4g