Harissa Black Bean Quinoa Bowl, a simple plant-based quinoa bean salad with corn, bell peppers, onion, and spicy harissa sauce. A great meal prep recipe for healthy lunches all week long!
We’re big grain salad fans in this house. We love how easy they are to make and how great they are for meal prep. And this Harissa Black Bean Quinoa Salad hits all the boxes by being the perfect “make once, eat all week” meal.
A great grain bowl first needs to be easy. A few seasonal ingredients, a chewy grain, and a bit of spice. Second, it needs to have healthy ingredients and fiber to keep you full throughout the afternoon. And finally, it needs to stand up to the time test: it needs to be great for leftovers.
This Harissa Black Bean Quinoa Bowl is just that: ready in under 20 minutes, packed with plant-based proteins and whole grains, and is great (and even tastier) as leftovers. Simple, delicious, no-fuss.
Ready to learn how to make this easy vegan Harissa Black Bean Quinoa Bowl? Let’s do it!
How to make Harissa Black Bean Quinoa Bowl
First, cook quinoa according to package instruction. This usually means adding one part quinoa and two parts water to a saucepan and bringing to a boil, then reducing heat to medium and cooking covered until quinoa is soft (about 15 minutes).
Meanwhile, cook bell peppers, onion, corn, cumin, and a bit of salt and pepper to a large pan with oil until soft. Then add black beans and sun dried tomatoes, cooking three minutes more. Finally, add cooked quinoa and mix well to combine.
To cook sunny egg, add a bit of oil to pan over medium heat. Add cracked eggs and cook until “sunny side up,” or when whites of egg are fully cooked but yolks are still runny, about five minutes.
Finally, put it all together by adding black bean quinoa salad to a bowl, top with sunny egg, and add a dollop of harissa sauce. Mix it all up and enjoy!
Harissa Black Bean Quinoa Bowl: Tips, tricks, and tools
This quinoa grain salad recipe is super simple to make and is great for leftovers, but there are a few tips and tricks that will make preparing it much easier:
- Use sustainable toxin-free cookware: choosing environmentally-friendly cookware is key to cooking safely and sustainably
- Eco-friendly storage containers: this quinoa is great for leftovers and is perfect to make ahead and eat for lunches all week long. Invest in glass storage containers so you can package up the salad and take a container out of the refrigerator whenever you need it
- Get creative with ingredients: don’t have black beans? Choose red kidney beans or chickpeas instead. Out of harissa? Try sriracha. Want more flavor? Add fresh herbs. Get creative with ingredients and really make this quinoa bean salad your own!
Did you make this Harissa Black Bean Quinoa Bowl? Leave a comment below and rate the recipe to let us know how it turned out. Save this simple vegan grain salad recipe for later by pinning to your favorite winter Pinterest board and make sure to tag me on Fork in the Road’s Instagram to show me your quinoa salad creations!Print
Harissa Black Bean Quinoa Bowl
Harissa Black Bean Quinoa Bowl, a simple plant-based quinoa bean salad with corn, bell peppers, onion, and spice harissa sauce. A great meal prep recipe for healthy lunches all week long!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 dinner side servings
- Category: Main Dish, Grain Bowl, Salad
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: American
- 2/3 cup quinoa
- 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup corn (frozen ok)
- 1 can (15oz) black beans, drained
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes (save 2 tablespoons oil)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons harissa
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions; typically this means boiling 1 part quinoa to 2 parts waters. So for this recipe, boil 1/2 cup quinoa in 1 cup water until soft, about 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile to a large pan add 2 tablespoons of oil (save sun-dried tomato oil, if possible), sliced bell pepper, sliced onion, corn, cumin, and a pinch of salt and pepper and cook over medium heat until soft, about five minutes. Then add black beans and sun dried tomatoes and cook another 3 minutes. Then mix in cooked quinoa until well combined, cooking about 1-2 minutes.
- To cook the egg: add a small amount of oil (sun dried tomato oil is great!) to a small pan over medium heat. Add two cracked eggs and cook until sunny side up, or when whites are cooked but yolks are still runny, about 5 minutes.
- To serve: add black bean quinoa salad to bowl, top with egg, and add 1 tablespoon spicy harissa sauce.
- Notes: If vegan, omit egg.
- Tools Needed: environmentally-friendly cookware
- Prep Ahead: make the black bean quinoa salad up to three days ahead of time and add egg and harissa when ready to serve
- Leftovers and Storage: Store the black bean quinoa salad in an airtight glass storage container for up to four days. While you can make the egg ahead of time and eat later, for best results cook sunny egg right before serving.
- Nutrition notes: This quinoa and black bean grain bowl is gluten-free, dairy-free, and is a great source of plant-based protein and fiber. It is high in vitamin C, vitamin A, and iron.
- Serving Size: 1 serving (about 1.5 cups + egg)
- Calories: 364
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 182mg
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 11g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 50g
- Fiber: 11g
- Protein: 15g
- Cholesterol: 93mg
Keywords: harissa black bean quinoa bowl, black bean quinoa salad