Honey Harissa Pan-Roasted Carrots
Honey Harissa Roasted Carrots, a simple roasted carrots side dish recipe with a sweet and spicy honey harissa sauce. Only five ingredients and fifteen minutes!
Carrots get a bad rap as a boring vegetable. Yes, everyone knows they’re full of vitamin A and good for eyesight, but in general they’re not seen the sexiest vegetable on the block right now (I’m looking at you kale and cauliflower).
However, I believe all vegetables — no matter how boring — can be exciting with the right recipe. And this sweet and oh-so spicy Honey Harissa Roasted Carrots recipe is EXACTLY what carrots needed to lose that boring reputation.
Want to simple five-ingredient, 15-minute Honey Harissa Roasted Carrots recipe? Let’s do it!
How to make Honey Harissa Roasted Carrots
This Honey Harissa Roasted Carrots recipe is a simple five-ingredient recipe that comes together in under fifteen minutes, making it a great option for easy weeknights or fancy holiday dinners alike.
To make this sweet and spicy carrot side dish, first you’ll peel and trim the ends off of your carrots and then slice. Add carrot slices to a large cast iron skillet heated over medium-high heat with a little olive oil. Roast the carrots in the pan until they’re beginning to soften, about 7-10 minutes, making sure to stir frequently to brown on all sides.
Meanwhile, add harissa sauce, honey, and a bit of water to a small mixing bowl and whisk together until well combined. Pour the sauce over the carrots and toss to coat, cooking 1-2 minutes more.
Finally, remove carrots to a plate and top with a sprinkle of cumin seed and flaked sea salt. Enjoy!
Honey Harissa Roasted Carrots : Tips, tricks, and tools
This easy sweet and spicy carrots recipe is simple to make, but there are a few tips and tricks to streamline preparation:
- Prep ahead: cut carrots and make the honey harissa sauce ahead of time to cut down on cooktime for busy nights
- Get the right tools: this recipe requires a cast iron skillet, knife set, cutting board, glass mixing bowls, and a whisk or spoon for mixing
- Make it a full meal: while this carrot recipe is healthy, make it a complete by pairing it with a lean protein, a side of whole grains, and a healthy fat for a balanced meal.
Did you make this Honey Harissa Roasted Carrots recipe? Leave a comment below and rate the recipe to let us know how it turned out. Save this simple roasted carrots recipe for later by pinning to your favorite winter Pinterest board and make sure to tag me on Fork in the Road’s Instagram to show me your carrot creations!
- 5 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons harissa sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 tablespoon water
- pinch of cumin seeds
- pinch of flaky sea salt
- Heat olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. When warm, add carrots and pan roast 7-10 minutes until golden brown, stirring frequently to brown all sides.
- Meanwhile, add harissa sauce, honey, and water to a small mixing bowl and whisk until well combined. When carrots are softened and browned, pour sauce into pan with carrots and mix until vegetables are coated evenly.
- To serve, remove carrots to a plate and top with cumin seed and a sprinkle of flaked sea salt. Enjoy!
- Notes: this recipe can also be done in the oven by preheating to 400 F and roasting carrots until golden brown, then adding sauce to coat and cooking a few minutes more.
- Tools Needed: knife set, cutting board, glass mixing bowls, whisk
- Prep Ahead: cut carrots ahead of time and mix together honey harissa sauce to streamline cooking time
- Leftovers and Storage: let carrots cool completely and store in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to four days
- Nutrition notes: this simple sweet and spicy carrot side dish is a good source of fiber, vitamin A, and vitamin c. Pair it with a lean protein and healthy whole grains with a side of healthy plant-based fats (like avocado or oils) for a complete meal
Serving Size:1 serving (about 1 cup)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 159Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 281mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 5gSugar: 25gProtein: 1g