Spicy Peanut Quinoa Bowl
Spicy Peanut Quinoa Bowl, a simple grain bowl with quinoa, spinach, chickpeas, avocado, peanuts, and a Spicy Peanut Sauce drizzle. Full of flavor and oh-so easy!
Have you ever craved something healthy, crunchy, and full of flavor…but don’t want to spend much time making it? If so, we have the perfect easy recipe for you!
This easy-peasy quinoa bowl recipe combines all of our favorite things — warm grains, leafy greens, a bit of crunch, and a flavorful spicy sauce. And it comes together in only 20 minutes, which makes it a perfect choice for a quick lunch or easy dinner.
Ready to learn how to make this 20-minute, gluten-free vegan grain bowl? Let’s do it!
How to make this quinoa bowl
The first step in making this quinoa bowl is to whip up a quick batch of the Spicy Peanut Sauce by combining peanut butter, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sriracha in a small bowl and whisking until well combined.
Next, cook the quinoa according to the package instructions. This usually means cooking your desired amount of quinoa with double the amount of water, so for this recipe that would be 1.5 cups of quinoa and 3 cups of water (for 4 servings). Put the quinoa and water into a small saucepan and bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the water is absorbed.
While the quinoa is cooking, it’s time to prep the other ingredients like dicing tomatoes and avocados, and chopping cilantro. Combine the chickpeas, diced tomatoes, and chopped onions in a small bowl and season with a sprinkle of salt and pepper and set aside.
When the quinoa is finished, it’s time to build the bowls! Just add quinoa, the chickpea, tomato, and onion mixture, a handful of spinach, peanuts, and diced tomatoes to a bowl. Drizzle a bit of Spicy Peanut Sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds for garnish. Then enjoy!
Tips, tricks, and tools
This simple yet flavorful bowl is super simple to make, but there are a few tips and tricks for making the most out of your ingredients.
- Prep ahead: Cook the quinoa, mix up the chickpeas, tomatoes, and onions, and make the sauce up to three days ahead of time and store in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve. The sauce can also be made ahead of time and frozen for future use.
- Make a big batch of the sauce: this Spicy Peanut Sauce is one of my absolute favorite new recipes, and I can imagine this sauce pairing well on salads, roasted vegetables, and cooked grains. Make a large amount, freeze, and thaw for a quick flavor addition.
- Try out different ingredients! Swap spinach for kale, quinoa for brown rice, and peanuts for almonds in this recipe for a different taste and texture. The possibilities are endless!
Want more simple plant-based bowl recipes?
If you love this spicy plant-based grain bowl, check out our other favorite bowl recipes:
- Chipotle Lime Black Bean Bowl
- Harissa Black Bean Quinoa Bowl
- Ginger Soy Tofu Bowl
- Easy Lentil and Farro Bowl
Did you make this Spicy Peanut Quinoa Bowl? Leave a comment below and rate the recipe to let us know how it turned out. Save this bowl recipe for later by pinning to your salad Pinterest board and make sure to tag me on Fork in the Road’s Instagram to show me your vegan bowl creations!
- 1.5 cups quinoa (dry)
- 1 can (15oz, 425g) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 2 cups spinach
- ½ cup roasted peanuts
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, as garnish
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Spicy Peanut Sauce: In a medium bowl whisk together peanut butter, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sriracha until well combined and set aside.
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions. Typically this means quinoa with double the amount of water (1.5 cups of quinoa and 3 cups of water for this recipe) and bringing it to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cooking covered until all water is absorbed, about 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine drained chickpeas, diced tomatoes, and chopped onion in a small bowl and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- To build bowl: add about ¾ cup cooked quinoa, chickpea/tomato/onion mixture, spinach, peanuts, and diced avocado to a bowl. Drizzle with Spicy Peanut Sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds and chopped cilantro before serving.
- Tools Needed: small saucepan, knife, cutting board
- Prep Ahead: Cook quinoa up to three days ahead of time and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Leftovers and Storage: Store leftovers in an airtight glass storage container in the refrigerator for up to four days. We don’t recommend freezing this bowl as the fresh ingredients will not keep, however you make a large batch of the Spicy Peanut Sauce and freeze to use as needed.
- Nutrition Notes: this plant-based quinoa bowl is an excellent source of plant-based protein, whole grains, and fiber.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 428Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 613mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 10gSugar: 4gProtein: 15g