Smoked Salmon Breakfast Bowl
Smoked Salmon Breakfast Bowl, an easy recipe featuring breakfast potatoes, rainbow chard, smoked salmon, paprika aioli, and a soft-boiled egg. This bowl is sure to brighten up your brunch!
The age old question: sweet or savory brunch? If you’re in the mood for savory, then this salmon breakfast bowl with potatoes, cooked chard, and soft boiled eggs is the perfect weekend morning dish. With a smoky aioli sauce, it’s boosting with flavor that will start your morning off right.
👉 Ready to learn how to make a tasty breakfast bowl with smoked salmon? Let's do it!
- Smoked salmon: The main star of this bowl, smoked salmon adds a light smoky texture to this breakfast bowl. We choose Atlantic smoked salmon for sustainability reasons (see the Sustainable Kitchen section below for details).
- Eggs: Soft boiled eggs add texture and a slightly runny yolk flavor to this bowl.
- Rainbow chard: A slightly wilted leafy green like rainbow or swiss chard adds a healthy vegetable component to this bowl.
- New potatoes: Crispy pan fried breakfast potatoes are the base of this breakfast bowl.
- Seasonings: Garlic, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper are the main seasonings for this bowl. Simple, but flavorful.
- Aioli ingredients: Mayo is the base of aioli (we like vegan mayo) and garlic, lemon juice, paprika, salt, and pepper give it a pop of flavor.
- Recommended tools: sauce pan, large skillet, mixing bowls or food processor
🥣 How to make (step-by-step photos)
1️⃣ Step One: Make breakfast potatoes
The first step to making this breakfast bowl is to make the paprika breakfast potatoes. You can get more detailed instructions in our full post Smoked Paprika Breakfast Potatoes, but below is the quick overview:
- Boil potatoes: First bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a small saucepan, add potatoes, and boil until they’re soft (about 8-10 minutes). Then drain, let them cool, and cut them into halves or quarters.
- Cook potatoes: Heat a large pan on medium heat, add a small amount of butter, and add the potatoes. Cook until they’re crisp – about 10-12 minutes – making sure to stir occasionally to brown on all sides. Then sprinkle with paprika, sliced garlic, and salt and pepper. Cook 1-2 minutes more to crisp garlic, then remove from heat and set aside.
2️⃣ Step Two: Soft boil eggs
Next it’s time to soft boil the eggs that you’ll place on top of the bowl.
To do this, bring a medium pot filled with water to a gentle simmer. Add the eggs and cook for 6-7 minutes (don’t cook too long or the yolks won’t be runny.
Remove the eggs to a bowl of ice water to cool quickly, about 2-3 minutes, then gently peel the eggs, slice in half, and set aside for the bowl.
3️⃣ Step Three: Wilt the leafy greens
We love a breakfast bowl with a bit of wilted greens, here’s how we lightly cook them so they’re soft but not completely cooked.
- Heat the pan: Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet (use the same one you cooked the potatoes in for extra flavor!). When it’s heated, add sliced garlic and fry until almost crisp, about 1-2 minutes.
- Cook the greens: Then add the chopped or shredded greens and cook until soft but not completed cooked, about 3-4 minutes.
4️⃣ Step Four: Make the smoked paprika aioli
To make the aioli, add mayo, smoked paprika, sea salt, and lemon juice to a bowl or food processor and mix (or blend) until well combined.
5️⃣ Step Five: Build the breakfast bowl
Once the potatoes, eggs, and greens have been cooked, and the aioli has been made, it’s time to build the bowl!
Add the cooked potatoes and greens as the based of the bowl. Place the soft boiled egg halves on top of the bowl, along with the smoked salmon.
Finally, add a dollop of the smoked paprika aioli sauce on top and then enjoy a tasty breakfast bow.
🧊 How to prep ahead and store
This bowl is a great make-ahead recipes that you can build when you’re ready to serve. Here’s how to prep the ingredients and store after cooking.
- Make ahead: Cook the potatoes, wilted chard, and aioli up to 2-3 days ahead of time. Then when you’re ready to serve, simply soft boil the eggs and build the bowl before eating.
- Refrigerator storage: Store leftover bowl ingredients in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Reheat the potatoes and the chard in a skillet before eating.
- Freezer storage: We do not recommend freezing any of the bowl components as they will lose texture when thawed and cooked.
♻️ Sustainable kitchen tips
We’re all about sustainability here at Fork in the Road! Here are our tips for choosing sustainable ingredients:
Choose sustainable salmon. The Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch suggests farmed Atlantic salmon as the most sustainable salmon choice to protect wild fish populations. And a little goes a long way! Make this dish plant-forward by choosing only a small amount of salmon (about 1.5 ounces per serving)
Pick in season greens. We suggest rainbow chard for the wilted green in this recipe, but choose a leafy green that’s in season near you.
🍲 More bowl recipes
Want more tasty vegetable-based bowl recipes? We've got you covered:
- Roasted Root Vegetable and Barley Bowl
- Rice Bowl with Ginger Soy Tofu and Vegetables
- Quinoa Vegetable Bowl with Spicy Peanut Sauce
Smoked Salmon Breakfast Bowl
Smoked Salmon Breakfast Bowl
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 cups rainbow chard, or other green, shredded
- 3 whole garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- ½ pat butter
- 1 cup new potatoes
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 3 ounces smoked salmon
- ¼ cup smoked paprika aioli, see recipe below
Smoked Paprika Aioli (makes 1 cup)
- 1 cup mayo, or vegan mayo
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon smoked sea salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Make potatoes: Bring 3 cups water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add potatoes and boil until soft, about 8-10 minutes. Drain, let cool, and then cut each potato in half or quarters (smaller pieces will become crispier when cooked). Heat butter in cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add potatoes and cook until crisp, stirring occasionally, about 10-12 minutes. When potatoes are almost to desire crispness, add garlic, paprika, and smoked salt. Sauté until garlic is crisp, about 2 minutes. Remove potatoes from heat and set aside.
- Soft boil eggs: Bring a medium pot filled with water to a gentle simmer. Gently add eggs and cook for 6-7 minutes. Remove eggs to a bowl of ice water and let cool 2-3 minutes. Then gently peel eggs, cut in half, and set aside for bowl.
- Wilt greens: Heat oil in a medium skillet on medium heat, then add garlic and fry until crisp, about 2 minutes. Add greens and cook until soft but not wilted, about 3-4 minutes.
- Build breakfast bowl: Build a bowl with potatoes, greens, smoked paprika aioli (instructions below), and salmon. Add soft-boil egg (instructions below) and enjoy!
- Make paprika aioli: Add mayo, paprika, sea salt, and lemon juice to a food processor and mix until well blended. Alternatively, you can also combine the ingredients in a small bowl and mix by hand.
- Leftovers and storage: The contents of this breakfast bowl can be refrigerated for up to four days and be reheated in either a microwave or by stovetop. Undercooked eggs should not be saved (and will not provide the same runny center when reheated), so cook a new soft-boiled egg when reheating.
UPDATE: This recipe was originally published in June 2018 and was updated for clarity in April 2022.