Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
Roasted Cherry Tomatoes, a simple baked cherry tomatoes side dish recipe that’s ready in 20 minutes with only 5 ingredients. Easy and literally bursting with flavor!
Love burst cherry tomatoes? Roast them in the oven! Bake fresh summer cherry tomatoes until they’re brown and bursting with flavor. Great as a side dish or a topping for toast, salads, or bowls.
👉 Ready to learn how to bake cherry tomatoes? Let’s do it!
🍅 Ingredients you’ll need
- Tomatoes: Small cherry tomato varieties of any kind; we like to bake a variety of different colors for a fun twist
- Olive oil: Coats tomatoes for baking and adds depth of flavor
- Seasonings: Garlic, salt, and pepper are the basic flavorings we’re using in this recipe, but get creative with your own herb and spice combos
- Recommended tools: sheet pan, knife set, cutting board
🥣 How to make (step-by-step photos)
1️⃣ Step One: Preheat oven and prep tomatoes
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 C) and wash tomatoes. Then remove any cherry tomatoes with stems and add to a mixing bowl.
👉 Should you cut cherry tomatoes before roasting? There is no need to slice cherry tomatoes before roasting, and in fact baking them whole will allow them to get hot and “burst” in the oven, leaving them browned and flavorful on the outside but still retaining some of their liquid on the inside.
2️⃣ Step Two: Season tomatoes
Add tomatoes to a mixing bowl and toss to coat with olive oil. Then add them to a roasting pan so they’re evenly spaced.
Sprinkle the cherry tomatoes with sliced garlic, salt, pepper and any other dried or fresh herbs of your choice.
3️⃣ Step Three: Bake the cherry tomatoes
Bake the tomatoes in the preheated oven until they become golden brown and burst and release some (but not all) of their liquid, usually about 12-15 minutes.
When done roasting, remove the roasting pan from the oven and enjoy immediately as a side dish. If you plan to save them for later, let them cool before storing.
🌿 Seasoning ideas
Want to get creative with spices for your baked tomatoes? Here are some ideas:
- Onion, garlic, herbs: Combine tomatoes with thinly sliced onions (or small pearl onions), minced garlic, and fresh herbs before roasting
- Basil and sea salt: Sprinkle fresh or dried basil over the tomatoes and add a sprinkling of sea salt
- Thyme and lemon juice: Add fresh thyme sprigs and a few slices of lemon before roasting
🧊 How to store
This is a great roasted tomato recipe for leftovers! Here’s how to store it:
- Refrigerator storage: Store roasted tomatoes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days
- Freezer storage: For best taste and texture, we don’t recommend freezing baked tomatoes as they will lose their texture when thawed
♻️ Sustainable kitchen tips
We’re all about eco living here at Fork in the Road! Here are some ideas for making this roasted cherry tomatoes recipe more sustainably:
Take advantage of tomato season. The best time to make burst cherry tomatoes is when fresh tomatoes are in season, which is during the summer and early fall months.
Grow the tomatoes in your garden. Tomatoes are easy to grow! Try sprouting some in containers to harvest at home.
👉 More roasted tomato recipes
Looking for more baked tomatoes recipes? Try Roasted Squash and Tomatoes, Roasted Green Beans and Tomatoes, and Roasted Zucchini and Tomatoes.
Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 pound cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic sliced thin
- ¼ cup fresh herbs or 2 tablespoons dried herbs
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- Preheat oven and prep tomatoes: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 C), then wash cherry tomatoes and remove stems; there is no need to slice.
- Season tomatoes: Place washed cherry tomatoes in a mixing bowl and drizzle with olive oil, toss to coat, and spread them onto a baking sheet or roasting pan. Season with sliced garlic, salt, pepper and any other desired seasonings.
- Roast cherry tomatoes: Bake the tomatoes in the oven until they begin to brown but haven’t completely released all of their liquids, about 12-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve immediately as a side dish, or let them cool and save for later use.
- Tools needed: sheet pan, knife set, cutting board
- Prep ahead: Wash tomatoes and cut garlic in advance to reduce prep time before cooking.
- Leftovers and storage: Baked cherry tomatoes should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. For best taste and texture, do not freeze and reheat.
- Nutrition notes: Nutrition information is estimated for only ingredients in the recipe, not the additional spice options given. This simple roasted tomatoes recipe is a good source of fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, and potassium.