Roasted Zucchini and Beets
Roasted Zucchini and Beets, an easy roasted vegetable side dish with fresh summer zucchini and earthy beets. Great as a side or as a topping for salads or bowls!
Love zucchini? Love beets? Roast them together! Bake fresh summer zucchini and earthy beets for a tasty roasted vegetable combo. It’s super simple, really flexible (great as a side or as a topping!), and is great as leftovers.
👉 Ready to learn how to roast potatoes and beets together? Let’s do it!
🧅 Ingredients you’ll need
This recipe requires just a few simple ingredients, including the following:
- Zucchini: Abundant in summer, fresh zucchini takes on a whole new flavor when roasted golden brown
- Beets: Either red beets or golden work well (we used red in the recipe photos)
- Olive oil: Brings out the flavor of vegetables when roasted and helps them to crisp when heated
- Fresh herbs: Any fresh herbs will do, but we love fresh thyme, oregano, sage, and basil (dried herbs can work as well)
- Seasonings: Garlic, salt, and pepper are the main seasonings in this recipe
- Recommended tools: sheet pan, knife set, cutting board
🥣 How to make (step-by-step photos)
1️⃣ Step One: Preheat oven and prep zucchini and beets
First, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 C), the wash and cut the vegetables.
- How to cut zucchini: Cut ends off of zucchini, then slice into 1/2 inch (1 centimeter) slices
- How to cut beets: Depending on their size, cut the beets in half and then into slices and then into 1/2 inch cubes
👉 Cutting Tip: We like to cut different vegetables into similar sized pieces so they’re easier to eat when roasted. If they’re the same size, they will have similar cooking times and will be extra crispy!
2️⃣ Step Two: Season zucchini and beets
Add beet and zucchini slices to a roasting pan and toss with olive oil until it completely covered.
Combine the oiled vegetables with sliced garlic, salt, pepper and your desired herbs (fresh or dried), then spread the herbs out onto a roasting pan.
3️⃣ Step Three: Roast vegetables until golden brown
Cook the beets and zucchini in the oven until tender and golden brown. Depending on your oven, this will take about 30-40 minutes.
Toss the veggies about 20 minutes in to make sure they cook evenly.
Remove the baking sheet from the oven and enjoy immediately as a side dish. To save for later, cool and then store (see storing instructions below).
🧊 How to store
If you have leftovers, here’s how to maintain their quality and flavor in storage:
- Refrigerator storage: Store vegetables in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days
- Freezer storage: For the best taste and texture, we don’t recommend freezing roasted vegetables as they will lose their texture when thawed
♻️ Sustainable kitchen tips
We’re all about going green in the kitchen here at Fork in the Road. Here’s how to make this recipe sustainably:
Take advantage of zucchini and beet seasons. The best time to make this recipe is when zucchini and beets are at the height of their growing season. In most parts of the US, zucchini is in flavor in the late summer and that’s when beets are typically coming back in season (they’re most available during colder months). Find out when they’re in season in your area here.
Grow the veggies in your garden. Zucchini and beets are fairly easy to grow on your own, even in smaller containers. This is a great step toward a sustainable lifestyle!
👉 More roasted zucchini and beets recipes
Looking for more recipes with baked beets and roasted zucchini? Try our other favorites:
- Roasted Beets and Sweet Potatoes
- Roasted Zucchini and Onions
- Roasted Beets and Brussels Sprouts
- Roasted Beets and Onions
- Roasted Beets and Butternut Squash
Roasted Zucchini and Beets
- 4 medium zucchini
- 2 large beets red or golden
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic sliced thin
- ¼ cup fresh herbs or 2 tablespoons dried herbs
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- Preheat oven and prep veggies: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 C), then wash and cut vegetables. Slice the ends off of zucchini, then cut into 1/4 inch (1/2 centimeter) slices. To cut beets, cut in half and then into cubes (you do not have to remove outer peel).
- Season vegetables: Place sliced zucchini and beets on a sheet pan and combine with a drizzle of olive oil. Once completely coated in oil, season the vegetables with sliced garlic, salt, pepper and any dried or fresh herbs.
- Roast vegetables: Bake veggies in the oven until soft and brown around the edges, which will take about 40 minutes. At about 20 minutes into cooking, toss the vegetables so they brown on all sides. Remove from the oven and serve immediately as a side dish, or let them cool and mix into salads.
- Tools needed: sheet pan, knife set, cutting board
- Prep ahead: Wash and cut vegetables in advance to reduce prep time before cooking.
- Leftovers and storage: Vegetables should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. For best taste and texture, do not freeze and reheat.
- Nutrition notes: Nutrition information is estimated for only ingredients in the recipe, not the additional spice options given. This simple roasted zucchini and beets recipe is a good source of fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, and potassium.