Roasted Squash and Tomatoes
Roasted Squash and Tomatoes, a tasty roasted tomatoes and summer squash side dish recipe that’s ready in 30 minutes with only 5 ingredients. Easy and flavorful!
Love roasted yellow summer squash? Love roasting summer tomatoes? Roast them together! Bake two of summer’s favorite produce harvests – fresh tomatoes and yellow squash – together for a tasty vegetable side dish.
👉 Ready to learn how to roast tomatoes and yellow summer squash together? Let's do it!
🍅 Ingredients you'll need
- Summer squash: Summer yellow squash is abundant in the warm months (and you’re likely looking for a way to use it up)
- Tomatoes: Another summer produce favorite, we love roasting cherry tomatoes, or larger roma or plum tomatoes
- Olive oil: Coats vegetables for baking and adds depth of flavor
- Seasonings: Garlic, salt, and pepper are the basic flavorings we’re using in this recipes, but get creative with your own herb and spice combos
- Recommended tools: sheet pan, knife set, cutting board
🥣 How to make (step-by-step photos)
1️⃣ Step One: Preheat oven and prep vegetables
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 C) and wash and cut vegetables:
- To cut summer squash: Slice off the ends of the zucchini, then cut down the middle. Then slice each half into 1/4 inch pieces.
- To cut tomatoes: Remove the stems from the tomatoes and cut them into 1 inch slices (no need to cut cherry tomatoes)
👉 Tip: Cut tomatoes and summer squash slices into same-sized pieces so they’re easier to eat and so they have similar cooking times (it some vegetables are bigger than others then they won’t cook evenly).
2️⃣ Step Two: Season squash and tomatoes
Add summer squash and tomatoes to a baking sheet and toss to coat with olive oil. Then add them to a roasting pan so they’re evenly spaced.
Sprinkle the vegetables with sliced garlic, salt, pepper and any other dried or fresh herbs of your choice.
3️⃣ Step Three: Bake the squash and tomatoes
Bake the vegetables in the preheated oven until they become golden brown and begin to soften, usually about 25 minutes.
After the vegetables have been in the oven for about 10-15 minutes, take them out and toss them to make sure they cook evenly and brown on all sides.
When done cooking, remove the pan from the oven and enjoy immediately as a side dish. If you plan to save them for later, let them cool before storing.
💡 Seasoning ideas
Want to get creative with spices for this recipe? Here are some ideas:
- Onion, garlic, herbs: Combine squash and tomatoes with thinly sliced onion, minced garlic, and fresh herbs before roasting
- Basil and sea salt: Sprinkle fresh or dried basil over the vegetables and add a sprinkling of sea salt
- Thyme and lemon juice: Add fresh thyme sprigs and a few slices of lemon before roasting
🧊 How to store
This is a great roasted vegetable recipe for leftovers! Here’s how to store it:
- Refrigerator storage: Store roasted summer squash and tomatoes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days
- Freezer storage: For best taste and texture, we don't recommend freezing roasted vegetables as they will lose their texture when thawed
♻️ Sustainable kitchen tips
We’re all about going green in the kitchen here at Fork in the Road. Here are some ideas for making this recipe more sustainably:
Take advantage of summer squash and tomato season. The best time to make this recipe is when both summer squash and fresh tomatoes are in season, which is during the summer and early fall months. Find out when they're in season in your area here.
Grow the veggies in your garden. Yellow summer squash and tomatoes are easy to grow! Try sprouting some in containers to harvest at home.
👉 More roasted tomato and summer squash recipes
Looking for more roasted tomatoes and squash recipes? We’ve got you covered:
- Roasted Squash and Green Beans
- Roasted Green Beans and Tomatoes
- Roasted Zucchini and Squash
- Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
Roasted Squash and Tomatoes
- 4 medium summer squash
- 1 pound tomatoes, cherry, roma, plum
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- ¼ cup fresh herbs, or 2 tablespoons dried herbs
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- Preheat oven and prep veggies: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 C), then wash and cut vegetables. Slice the ends off of squash and cut them into 1/4 inch (1/2 centimeter) slices. Remove the stems from the tomatoes and slice them into slices (or about the same size as the squash slices); if using cherry tomatoes there is no need to slice.
- Season vegetables: Place sliced summer squash and tomatoes in a mixing bowl and drizzle with olive oil, toss to coat, and spread them onto a baking sheet or roasting pan. Season vegetables with sliced garlic, salt, pepper and any other desired seasonings.
- Roast vegetables: Bake the squash and tomatoes in the oven until they begin to brown, about 25 minutes. At about 10-15 minutes into cooking, toss the vegetables so they brown on all sides. Remove from the oven and serve immediately as a side dish, or let them cool and save for later use.
- Tools needed: sheet pan, knife set, cutting board
- Prep ahead: Wash and cut vegetables in advance to reduce prep time before cooking.
- Leftovers and storage: Vegetables should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. For best taste and texture, do not freeze and reheat.
- Nutrition notes: Nutrition information is estimated for only ingredients in the recipe, not the additional spice options given. This simple roasted summer squash and tomatoes recipe is a good source of fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, and potassium.