Roasted Broccoli and Apples, a simple baked apples and broccoli recipe with cinnamon and maple syrup. Ready in less than 30 minutes!
Love apples? Love broccoli? Roast them together! The sweet taste of broccoli and apples is a great fruit and vegetable harvest combination for a simple side dish or as a topping for bowls and salads.
👉 Ready to learn how to roast broccoli and apples together? Let’s do it!
🥣 How to make (step-by-step photos)
1️⃣ Step One: Preheat oven and prep broccoli and apples
To start, preheat your oven to 400 degrees F (200 C), then wash and trim the produce.
- To cut apples: Cut apples into slices and then into 1/2 inch cubes.
- To cut broccoli: Cut the broccoli florets from the stem.
2️⃣ Step Two: Spread broccoli and apples on a baking sheet
Place the apples and broccoli pieces on a roasting sheet or pan.
Toss them with a drizzle of olive oil until completely covered. Then drizzle with maple syrup, cinnamon, salt, and pepper.
👉 Baking tip: Keep apples and broccoli separated on the roasting pan. If the apples cook a lot faster than broccoli, you can keep them separated on the pan you can remove them and keep cooking the broccoli.
3️⃣ Step Three: Bake until golden brown
Put the baking sheet in the oven and roast until broccoli is tender and brown around the edges. Depending on your oven, this will take about 25 minutes.
Halfway through cooking, stir the apples and broccoli to make sure they brown on all sides. Remove apples if they become too soft and mushy so they don’t overcook.
Once they are done cooking, remove the pan from the oven. If using as a side dish, you can serve them immediately. If you plan to use them later, let them cool and store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
🧊 How to store
- Refrigerator storage: Roasted fruit and vegetables should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Freezer storage: For the best taste and texture, we don’t recommend as the apples and broccoli may lose texture when thawed.
♻️ Sustainable kitchen + cooking tips
Here are some tips for making this recipe sustainably:
Make this recipe while apples and broccoli are in season: Eat with the seasons! Broccoli and apples are both available in the early fall, which makes autumn a great time to make this recipe.
Don’t toss those scraps! The stems and peels from the apples and broccoli can be tossed in a food scrap vegetable broth. You can also chop up the broccoli stems and use them in a broccoli stem salad or in a broccoli stalk pesto.
👉 More roasted apple and broccoli recipes
FREE MeAL PLANNING GUIDE
Roasted Broccoli and Apples
- 1 baking sheet
- 2 heads broccoli
- 2 large apples
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- Preheat oven: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees (200 C).
- Prep: Wash and cut 2 large apples into small 1/2 inch cubes. Cut the 2 heads broccoli florets from the stem.
- Roast: Arrange the apples and broccoli on a baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil, tossing the vegetables to completely cover with oil and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 tablespoon maple syrup, and 1 pinch salt and pepper. Place sheet pan in the oven and roast for 25 minutes, stirring halfway through to roast on all sides. Keep an eye on apples and remove them if they start to become too soft and overcooked, and continue cooking the broccoli until done.
- Serve: Remove pan from oven, arrange broccoli and apples on a plate and serve as a side dish or let cool and use as a salad topping.