Vegan Roasted Potato Salad
Vegan Roasted Potato Salad, a tasty twist on traditional potato salad that uses roasted potatoes for crunch and vegan mayonnaise to make it plant-based. Your new favorite picnic and party side dish!
Love potato salad? Love roasted potatoes? Combine them! This plant-based potato salad uses crispy roasted potatoes instead of soft boiled for a crunchy texture. Add a few flavor boosters like fresh dill, dijon mustard, and apple cider vinegar and this is one flavor packed picnic dish!
👉 Ready to learn how to make vegan potato salad with roasted potatoes? Let's do it!
- Potatoes: Waxy potatoes are best for potato salads; we like new potatoes or red potatoes
- Vegan mayo: A plant-based mayonnaise is key to get a creamy potato salad consistency; we like Follow Your Heart brand
- Vegetables: Celery, carrots, and green onions are chopped and added for flavor and crunch
- Seasonings: Along with salt and pepper we’re using dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, and fresh dill for a combined flavor boost
- Recommended tools: baking sheet, large mixing bowl
🥣 How to make (step-by-step photos)
1️⃣ Step One: Roast potatoes
The first step to making a roasted potato salad is to – you guessed it – roast the potatoes.
To do this, preheat your oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). While the oven is heating up, wash the potatoes and cut them in half. Then toss cut potatoes onto a baking sheet, drizzle them with olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Then bake the potatoes until they’re crispy, about 20-30 minutes, making sure to flip periodically to brown on all sides.
When the potatoes are done, let them cool on the baking sheet or place them in a bowl in the refrigerator to cool them down faster before mixing with the other potato salad ingredients.
2️⃣ Step Two: Mix potato salad ingredients
When the potatoes have cooled, add them to a large bowl with sliced celery, diced carrots, and diced green onions. Then add vegan mayo, a dollop of dijon mustard, some apple cider vinegar, and a sprinkle of fresh dill, salt, and pepper.
Then toss the ingredients to combine, making sure the vegan mayo coats all ingredients.
3️⃣ Step Three: Chill and serve
When the salad has been mixed place it in the refrigerator for 30-60 minutes to allow the ingredients to “marinate” and release their flavors. You can serve immediately, but we really recommend this last step because the potato salad will have a much deeper flavor if it’s allowed to chill for a bit before eating.
When you’re ready to eat, simply serve and enjoy!
❓ Recipe questions + quick tips
Traditionally potatoes are boiled before making them into a potato salad, but they can also be roasted for a potato salad with a crispier and crunchier texture.
Potato salad is traditionally made with mayonnaise and often times egg and bacon. To make potato salad vegan, simply omit any animal products like egg and meat, and use a vegan mayonnaise instead of an egg-based mayonnaise.
🧊 How to store
- Refrigerator storage: Store leftover potato salad in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
- Freezer storage: We do not recommend freezing as the potato texture will not hold after thawing.
👉 More summer picnic recipes
Want more plant-forward summer picnic and party recipes? We've got you covered:
Looking for more potato salad recipes? Try our more traditional Southern-Style Vegan Potato Salad.
Vegan Roasted Potato Salad
- 2 pounds waxy potatoes, new potatoes, red potatoes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 3 single celery stalks
- 2 whole carrots
- 2 whole green onions
- 2 cups vegan mayonnaise
- ¼ cup dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 bunch fresh dill, finely chopped
- Roast potatoes: Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Wash potatoes and cut them in half, then toss halved potatoes in olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes to brown evenly. Alternatively, potatoes can also be pan fried over medium heat for 20-30 minutes or until potatoes are browned. Remove from oven and let cool (to cool faster, place roasted potatoes in the refrigerator).
- Mix potato salad ingredients: In a large bowl, add cut potatoes, sliced celery, diced carrots, sliced green onions, vegan mayonnaise, dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, chopped dill, and a pinch salt and a pinch of black pepper. Toss ingredients to thoroughly mix until all ingredients are covered in mayonnaise and are evenly distributed in salad.
- Chill and serve: Roasted potato salad can be served immediately, but for best results refrigerate for a minimum of 30-60 minutes to chill salad and let the ingredients release their flavors.
- Storage and leftovers: Store in refrigerator for up to 5 days, but for best taste consume within 2 days or else potatoes become soggy from dressing.
UPDATE: This recipe was originally published in September 2017 and was updated for clarity in May 2022.