Roasted Broccoli and Onions, an easy vegetable combo that’s great as a side or a topping for salads and bowls. It only takes 5 ingredients and 30 minutes!
Love broccoli? Love onions? Roast them together! This super simple roasted vegetable recipe works perfectly for meal prep. Enjoy these veggies on their own as a side dish, or use them as a topping for salads and bowls!
👉 Ready to learn how to make roasted onions and broccoli together? Let’s do it!
🥦 How to make (step-by-step photos)
1️⃣ Step One: Prep oven and vegetables
First, preheat your oven to 400 degrees F (200 C), then prep the vegetables with a quick wash before cutting them.
- To cut onions: Cut stems from the onion and then make a slice around the outside to remove the outer layer. Cut the onion into rounds, or in half and then into slices.
- To cut broccoli: Remove the broccoli florets from the stalk, and if desired, slice florets into smaller pieces.
👉 Cutting tip: Cut roasted vegetables like broccoli and onions into similarly sized pieces so they’re easier to eat, have similar cooking times, and get an extra crunch.
2️⃣ Step Two: Season and add to baking sheet
Next, place the cut broccoli and onions on a roasting or sheet pan.
Toss the veggies with olive oil until completely coated. Season with sliced garlic, as well as salt and pepper to taste.
👉 Roasting tip: Keep the vegetables separated on the roasting pan. Broccoli can a bit take longer to bake. If needed, you can easily scoop the roasted onions off the pan when they’re done and keep cooking the broccoli.
3️⃣ Step Three: Bake vegetables in the oven
Now you’ll roast the vegetables in the oven until they begin to brown, which takes about 25 minutes depending on your oven.
To make sure the onions and broccoli cook evenly, stir the vegetables halfway throughout cooking. If the onions are cooking faster, remove them to a plate and continue to cook the broccoli until it’s done.
When the veggies are done cooking, take them out of the oven. If using as a side dish, serve them immediately. You can also let them cool and serve on top of salads or bowls.
💡 Seasoning ideas
We kept it simple with garlic, salt, and pepper in this recipe, but here are some more seasoning ideas:
- Add citrus: a bit of squeezed lemon or lime over the top of these vegetables will add a fresh, acidic kick
- Add cheesy flavor: shaved parmesan or nutritional yeast will make this dish more robust
- Add some heat: paprika, chili powder, and a little cayenne will spice it up
♻️ Sustainable kitchen + cooking tips
Here at Fork in the Road, we always aim to cook sustainably, and we know you do too! Here are some sustainable kitchen tips:
- Take advantage of broccoli and onions season! The best time to make both onions and broccoli are when they are both in season! Broccoli availability varies by location, but typically is available for most of the year. Onions are generally available throughout the year. Click here to find out when these veggies are in season in your area.
- Save your scraps! Both broccoli stalks and onion peels are actually edible! Add either to your next homemade food scrap vegetable broth. You can also remove the tough outer layer of broccoli stalks and use them in all the same ways you use florets.
👉 More roasted broccoli and onion recipes
FREE MeAL PLANNING GUIDE
Roasted Broccoli and Onions
- 1 baking sheet
- 1 large onion yellow, white, or red
- 2 heads broccoli
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- Preheat oven: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees (200 C).
- Prepare vegetables: Remove onion stems, then make a slice around the outside of the onion to remove the top layer. Either cut the onion into rounds, or in half and then into slices. Cut the broccoli florets from the stalk, and slice florets in half lengthwise if desired. Slice garlic cloves.1 large onion, 2 heads broccoli, 2 cloves garlic
- Roast vegetables: Arrange the cut broccoli florets and onion slices on a roasting pan. Drizzle with olive oil and toss until completely coated. Sprinkle veggies with sliced garlic, salt, and pepper. Place sheet pan in the oven and roast for 25 minutes, stirring halfway through to brown on all sides.2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 pinch salt and pepper
- Serve: Remove pan from oven and arrange vegetables on a plate. Serve as a side dish, or let cool and use as a salad or bowl topping.