Roasted Broccoli and Mushrooms, a tasty baked mushroom and broccoli combination. Only five simple ingredients and 25 minutes!
Love mushrooms? Love broccoli? Roast them together! This simple side dish is super full on flavor and is great on its own or used as a topping for salads and bowls.
👉 Ready to learn how to make baked mushrooms and broccoli? Let’s do it!
- Mushrooms: 1 pound of mushrooms, any type will do (I used button in this recipe)
- Broccoli: you’ll need about 2 heads of broccoli, which is about 3 cups
- Garlic cloves: cut fresh cloves into thin slices
- Olive oil: start with 2 tablespoons and add more if needed to coat the vegetables
- Salt and pepper: adds a dash of flavor
- Recommended tools: sheet pan, set of knives, and a cutting board
🥣 Recipe instructions (with step-by-step photos)
1️⃣ Step One: Prep oven and veggies
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F (200 C). Wash and then dry the vegetables.
- To cut mushrooms: Wash mushrooms then slice into thin slices, though you could roast whole as well
- To cut broccoli: Cut the broccoli florets from the hard stem (save the stem, it’s edible!)
2️⃣ Step Two: Season and add to baking sheet
Place the broccoli and mushrooms on a baking sheet or roasting pan.
Toss the vegetables with olive oil until completely coated. Sprinkle garlic on top, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
3️⃣ Step Three: Bake broccoli and mushrooms
Roast the vegetables for 25 minutes or until just browned, making sure to stir the vegetables halfway through cooking time.
If the mushrooms are cooking faster than the broccoli, simply remove them to a plate and continue to cook the broccoli until it is browned.
Serve immediately, or let cool and save for later as a topping for salads or bowls.
❓Recipe questions + quick tips
To minimize prep on cooking day, wash and cut the vegetables in advance. If you’re using mushrooms and broccoli as a topping for salads or bowls, bake the vegetables up to three days ahead of time.
Cut the broccoli and mushrooms into same-sized pieces to help them roast evenly. Also, separate the vegetables on the pan rather than mixing them together so you can remove one vegetable if it is cooking faster.
💡 Ideas for seasoning
This recipe is a foundation, but get creative with these seasoning ideas:
- Fresh or dried herbs: add basil, thyme, or oregano for an herb flavor
- Garlic and lemon: add a squeeze of fresh lemon with thick garlic slices
🧊 How to store leftovers
- Refrigerator storage: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. They will keep for up to 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave or in a pan over medium heat on the stove.
- Freezer storage: Store leftovers in an airtight container or freezer-friendly bag for up to one month. Place in refrigerator for 24 hours to thaw, then reheat in a pan or place in the oven for 10-15 minutes to recrisp the vegetables.
♻️ Sustainable kitchen + cooking tips
We’re always thinking of ways to reduce food waste, and we know it’s a priority for you too! Here are our top sustainable kitchen tips:
Use vegetables when they’re in season! The best time to use mushrooms and broccoli is when both vegetables are in season! Generally, mushrooms are available year round and broccoli is available throughout winter so the late spring months are best.
Don’t toss your vegetable scraps! Save your broccoli stems and leaves – yes, they’re edible! Try our Broccoli Stem Pesto with your broccoli stems for a no-waste flavor twist.
👉 More broccoli and mushrooms recipes
FREE MeAL PLANNING GUIDE
Roasted Broccoli and Mushrooms
- 1 baking sheet
- 1 pound mushrooms about 2 cups
- 2 large broccoli heads about 3 cups
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- Prep oven and vegetables: Preheat oven to 400 degrees (200 C). Wash 2 large broccoli heads, then remove the florets from the hard part of the stems. Wash 1 pound mushrooms, then slice into thin slices (though you can roast them whole as well, if desired).
- Roast vegetables: Arrange the cut mushrooms and broccoli on a roasting pan. Drizzle the with 2 tablespoons olive oil, then toss until evenly coated. Top with sliced 2 cloves garlic, and 1 pinch salt and pepper. Roast in preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until browned. Stir halfway through cooking time.
- Serve: Remove pan from oven, arrange mushrooms and broccoli on a plate and serve immediately as a side dish; or let cool and use as a topping for salads or bowls.