The BEST Vegan Tofu Scramble
Vegan Tofu Scramble, the best easy torn tofu scrambled in an egg-flavored sauce made with kala namak salt, turmeric, and nutritional yeast for yellow color. The perfect plant-based scramble!
Went vegan but miss scrambled eggs? I feel you! When I went plant-based four years ago I missed eggs the most, but luckily this tofu scramble recipe gives the texture and flavor of real egg scrambles – no harm to chickens necessary.
👉 Ready to learn how to make make the BEST tofu scramble? Let’s do it!
- Tofu: extra firm tofu is drained, pressed, and torn into small pieces before cooked until crispy
- Kala namak: kala namak is a rock salt used in Indian cuisines with a strong sulfur taste that mimics real eggs
- Nutritional yeast: adds a cheesy taste with a yellow color to the egg-flavored sauce
- Seasonings: turmeric, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper
- Tahini: adds a thick base to the eggy-flavored sauce that helps it stick to the torn tofu
- Plant-based milk: an unsweetened plant-based milk like oat or soy for the sauce
- Recommended tools: tofu press (optional), large nonstick pan
🥣 How to make (step-by-step photos)
1️⃣ Step One: Prep tofu
The first step to make a tofu scramble is to start with drained and pressed tofu.
To do this, drain the block of tofu and press between paper or kitchen towels with something heavy on top, like cookbooks or a pot (or use a tofu press). Continue to press the tofu for about 15-20 minutes, or until the tofu has released its moisture.
When done, tear the tofu into 1-inch pieces.
2️⃣ Step Two: Make egg-flavored sauce
Then make the eggy-flavored sauce. To do this, add the turmeric, onion powder, garlic powder, nutritional yeast, kala namak salt, black pepper, tahini, and plant-base milk in a small bowl.
Then use a whisk to mix and combine all ingredients.
3️⃣ Step Three: Cook tofu with sauce
Next, heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the torn tofu to the pan and cook until it has dried and browned on all sides, about 15 minutes (flipping often to brown on all sides).
Then add the egg-flavored sauce to the pan and mix to coat the tofu, cooking until the sauce evaporates and the sauce has stuck to the tofu.
4️⃣ Step Four: Serve tofu scramble
Serve the scrambled tofu with a sprinkle of flaky sea salt with your choice of sides (see suggestions below).
❓ Recipe questions + quick tips
Kala Namak salt, also known as black salt, is a type of rock salt with a distinctive sulfurous flavor commonly used in South Asian cuisine to add a pungent and savory taste to dishes. It can be used in plant-based egg dishes to mimic the sulfuric flavor of real eggs.
Tofu can be cooked to taste like scrambled eggs by draining and pressing it until it’s dry so it cooks until it is crispy. It can also be torn instead of sliced into cubes to be similar to the shape and texture of eggs. And it can also be coated in a sauce made with spices like turmeric, nutritional yeast, tahini, and kala namak salt for a bright yellow color and an egg-like flavor.
💡 Ideas for serving
- As a topping for toast. Add this tofu scramble on top of toast with avocado or your favorite toppings.
- With fruit or potatoes on the side. Eat as main dish with a side of potatoes and fruit.
- On a breakfast sandwich or wrap. Add to a wrap or breakfast sandwich.
🧊 How to store and reheat
- Refrigerator storage: Store leftover scrambled tofu in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days.
- Freezer storage: Freeze in a freezer-friendly bag or container for up to 1 month. To thaw, remove from the freezer into the refrigerator for 24 hours before reheating.
- Reheat instructions: To reheat, cook for five minutes in a pan on the stove or 1 minutes in the microwave.
👉 More tofu egg recipes
Want more tofu egg recipes? Try Vegan Vegetable Frittata.
The BEST Vegan Tofu Scramble
- 1 tofu press optional
- 1 large nonstick pan
Tofu scramble ingredients
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 16-ounce block extra firm tofu
- 1 pinch sea salt to taste, for after cooking
Egg-flavored sauce ingredients
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon kala namak (Indian black salt)
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 2 tablespoons drippy tahini
- ½ cup unsweetened plant-based milk oat, soy, etc.
- Prep tofu: Drain the 1 16-ounce block extra firm tofu and press between paper or kitchen towels with something heavy on top, like cookbooks or a pot (or use a tofu press). Continue to press the tofu for about 15-20 minutes, or until the tofu has released its moisture. When done, tear the tofu into 1-inch pieces.
- Make egg-flavored sauce: Add the 1 teaspoon turmeric, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, ½ teaspoon kala namak, 1 pinch black pepper, 2 tablespoons drippy tahini, and ½ cup unsweetened plant-based milk in a small bowl. Then use a whisk to mix and combine all ingredients.
- Cook tofu with sauce: Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the torn tofu to the pan and cook until it has dried and browned on all sides, about 15 minutes (flipping often to brown on all sides). Then add the egg-flavored sauce to the pan and mix to coat the tofu, cooking until the sauce evaporates and the sauce has stuck to the tofu.
- Serve: Serve the scrambled tofu with a sprinkle of 1 pinch sea salt with your choice of sides.