Raw Zucchini Tomato Salad, a simple summer salad with raw, cut zucchini, tomatoes, and red onion in a light olive oil and lemon dressing with fresh basil. Only 10 minutes to make!
Have a ton of zucchini and not sure what to do with it? Make it into a salad! This easy zucchini and tomato salad recipe comes together in only 10 minutes and is perfect for using the up the summer zucchini harvest.
👉 Ready to learn how to make a raw zucchini salad with tomatoes and basil? Let’s do it!
- Zucchini: the base of this salad, raw zucchini is cut into small bite-size pieces
- Tomatoes: any tomatoes will do, but I chose cherry tomatoes and cut them in half
- Red onion: very thinly sliced onions add a touch of flavor to the salad
- Olive oil: extra virgin olive oil is the base of the dressing for this salad
- Lemon juice: a squeeze of fresh lemon juice for a touch of acidity
- Basil: fresh or dried basil works; if fresh, cut into thin strips
- Salt and pepper: a sprinkle for seasoning
- Recommended tools: knife, cutting board, large mixing bowl
🥣 How to make (step-by-step photos)
1️⃣ Step One: Combine vegetables
First, wash and cut vegetables. Slice the zucchini into bite-size pieces, slice the cherry tomatoes in half, and then cut the red onion into very thin slices.
Add the sliced raw zucchini, sliced cherry tomatoes, and thinly sliced red onion to a large mixing bowl.
2️⃣ Step Two: Toss with oil, herbs, and spices
Next, drizzle the vegetables with olive oil, lemon juice, basil, and a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
Then toss to coat the vegetables, and enjoy!
❓ Recipe questions + quick tips
Zucchini can be eaten raw, and in fact it’s a delicious way to enjoy this summer vegetable. It can be cut into bite-size pieces, thin ribbons, or spiraled and added to salads for a crunchy texture.
Yes! Feel free to get creative and add your favorite vegetables to this salad, such as bell peppers, chickpeas, and nuts or seeds. The possibilities are endless!
🧊 How to store
- Refrigerator storage: Store leftover salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Freezer storage: I do not recommend freezing as the fresh vegetables will not retain their texture after thawing.
♻️ Sustainable kitchen tips
Take advantage of zucchini and tomato season. This recipe is best made when both zucchini and tomatoes are in season, which is in late summer (July to September in the Northern Hemisphere).
👉 More summer salad recipes
NOT SURE WHERE TO START WITH PLANT-BASED EATING?
Get my 4-Day Plant-Based Meal Plan to start your journey on the plant path.
Raw Zucchini Tomato Salad
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 1 knife
- 1 cutting board
- 2 pounds zucchini sliced thin
- 1 pound cherry tomatoes halved
- ½ cup red onion sliced thin
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ cup basil sliced thin
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- Combine vegetables: Add sliced raw zucchini, sliced cherry tomatoes, and thinly sliced red onion to a large mixing bowl.2 pounds zucchini, 1 pound cherry tomatoes, ½ cup red onion
- Toss with oil, herbs, and spices: Drizzle the vegetables with olive oil, lemon juice, basil, and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Then toss to coat the vegetables, and enjoy!¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, ½ cup basil, 1 pinch salt and pepper