Strawberry Spinach Smoothie
Strawberry Spinach Smoothie, a simple fruit and leafy green smoothie with fresh or frozen spinach and strawberries and a creamy texture from a secret ingredient – chia seeds. Ready in 5 minutes!
Love strawberries? Love spinach? Make them into a tasty smoothie! This super simple smoothie is plant-based, has only 6 simple ingredients, and is ready in only 5 minutes.
👉 Ready to learn how to make a creamy smoothie with spinach and strawberries? Let’s do it!
- Spinach: a handful of spinach provides not only a deep green color, but a dose of nutrients like vitamin C, iron, and folate
- Strawberries: fresh or frozen strawberries work; frozen strawberries mean you may not need additional ice cubes
- Banana: using banana in smoothies means a creamy texture without dairy
- Milk: we’re using a thick plant-based milk like oat or creamy soy milk for a thicker consistency
- Chia seeds: add fiber and contributes a thick texture
- Vanilla extract: a touch of vanilla extract adds flavor
- Ice Cubes: just a few ice cubes make this smoothie cold without ending up like a slushy (omit if using frozen strawberries)
- Recommended tools: high powered blender, small glasses
🥣 How to make (step-by-step photos)
1️⃣ Step One: Blend smoothie ingredients
To make the smoothie, simply add the spinach, strawberries, banana, plant-based milk, vanilla extract, and chia seeds with ice cubes (optional, if you want it to be cold) to a blender.
Then blend on the high setting until ingredients are smooth, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
👉 Pro tips for the right smoothie consistency: If smoothie is too thick, add more milk. If smoothie is too thin, add more strawberries.
2️⃣ Step Two: Garnish and serve smoothie
To serve the smoothie, simply pour it from the blender into a glass and top with strawberries as a garnish. Then sip and enjoy!
💡 Ideas for serving
- As a breakfast smoothie. Drink as-is for a simple nutritious breakfast smoothie, or add a dash or protein powder for longer-lasting satiety.
- As a smoothie bowl. Pour the smoothie into bowl and top with your favorite granola, nuts or seeds, or other toppings like coconut flakes.
- As a smoothie “nice cream.” Pour smoothie into an ice cream pan and freeze for at least 4 hours, then scoop and serve as a plant-based ice cream.
🧊 How to store
- Refrigerator storage: If eating within just a couple of hours, you can store the smoothie in the refrigerator to keep it cold.
- Freezer storage: If you’re making this smoothie ahead of time, store in the freezer for up to 7 days and then remove to the refrigerator a couple of hours (or even the night before) eating to let it melt but still cold.
♻️ Sustainable kitchen tips
We’re all about sustainability here at Fork in the Road, so here are a few tips to go green (literally) when making this smoothie.
Make it during spinach and strawberry season. The best time to make this smoothie is when both strawberries and spinach are both in season, which is usually in the summer and early fall months.
Use frozen strawberries and spinach on the off season. Make this smoothie in the winter? Frozen spinach and frozen strawberries are perfect for this smoothie, and using them cold means you won’t need to add extra ice.
Freeze bananas for smoothies. Slice, freeze, and store very ripe bananas to easily grab for future smoothies or even baked goods.
🥤 More spinach smoothie recipes
Want more fruity spinach smoothie recipes? Try this Blueberry Spinach Smoothie, Spinach Blackberry Smoothie, and Raspberry Spinach Smoothie.
Strawberry Spinach Smoothie
- 1 high powered blender
- 1 cup spinach
- ½ cup strawberries plus more for garnish
- 1 small banana
- ½ cup plant-based milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Optional 2-3 ice cubes
- Blend smoothie ingredients: Add 1 cup spinach, ½ cup strawberries, 1 small banana, ½ cup plant-based milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1 tablespoon chia seeds with the Optional 2-3 ice cubes to a blender. Blend until smooth, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. If smoothie is too thick, add more milk. If smoothie is too thin, add more strawberries.
- Serve: Pour blended smoothie from the blender into a glass and top with strawberries for garnish.