White Bean Kale Quinoa Soup
White Bean Kale Quinoa Soup, a simple one-pot plant-based soup made with cannellini bean, quinoa, kale, and lemon that comes together under 40 minutes. A perfect freezer-friendly meal prep recipe!
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 single garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 can white cannellini beans, drained
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 quarts vegetable broth
- 2 cups kale, shredded
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, from about 1 lemon
- 1 pinch salt and pepper, to desired taste
Cook vegetables and add broth: In a large soup pot over medium heat, sauté onion and garlic with olive oil and oregano until soft, about 4-5 minutes. Add drained white beans, quinoa, and vegetable broth and increase heat to bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a low simmer and cook covered for 20 minutes.
Add kale and seasonings: After soup has cooked and has thickened, add kale, lemon juice and lemon zest, and salt and pepper to taste. Let cook 2-3 minutes more so kale softens, then remove from heat and serve with sprinkled lemon zest.
Instant Pot instructions: This kale and quinoa soup with white beans can also be made in the an Instant Pot or pressure cooker. Simply cook the onions, garlic, and oregano on the sauté function, then add the beans, quinoa, and vegetable broth and cook on the soup function for 10 minutes. Then let out the steam pressure and stir in the kale and seasonings before serving.
- Tools needed: Dutch oven, large soup pot
- Make ahead: This simple plant-based quinoa and bean soup is a great make ahead recipe that's perfect for meal prep days, and is a great soup for freezing and thawing on busy nights.
- Leftovers and storage: Store soup in airtight storage containers in the refrigerator for up to five days, and in the freezer for up to one month. To reheat bring soup to a boil in a pot and season as needed.
- Nutrition notes: This soup is high in plant-based protein, fiber, potassium, vitamin C, and vitamin A.
Serving: 1serving, Calories: 226kcal, Carbohydrates: 41g, Protein: 10g, Fat: 3g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 1g, Sodium: 1286mg, Potassium: 604mg, Fiber: 7g, Sugar: 4g, Vitamin A: 2913IU, Vitamin C: 23mg, Calcium: 134mg, Iron: 4mg