Quick Pickled Carrot Ribbons Recipe
Quick Pickled Carrot Ribbons, an easy refrigerator pickled carrot peels recipe that helps reduce food waste. Ready in just a few hours, they will be your new favorite condiment or snack!
- 1 pound carrots
- ¼ cup dill, or other herbs
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 2 whole garlic cloves, sliced thin
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Optional: sliced radish, bell pepper, carrots, or other vegetable
Peel the carrots: Using a vegetable peeler, peel the carrots into long strips until you reach their core (save the core and ends for vegetable stock).
Prepare the pickling jar: Add cut carrot peels to a large jar and add dill or other desired herbs, mustard seeds, garlic, and red pepper flakes.
Prepare and add the brine: In a medium saucepan bring the water, vinegar, salt, and sugar to a boil. Once boiling, pour into the jar until the liquid completely submerges the carrot peels. Close the lid on the jar tightly.
Pickling instructions: Let the jar cool on the counter until it reaches room temperature. Once cooled, put the jar into the refrigerator and let the carrot peels pickle for at least 2 hours before serving, but for best results serve after at least 24 hours. Quick pickled carrot peels are good up to one month in the refrigerator.
- Vinegar: White vinegar, white wine vinegar, and apple cider vinegar are the best vinegar choices for this pickled vegetable recipe.
- Recommended jar: Choose a jar that's tall enough to store the pickled carrot ribbons. There should be about 1/2 - 1 inch (1-2 cm) of space between the peels and the lid so that they can completely submerge in the brine liquid.
- Other recommended tools: small saucepan, cutting board, knife set
- Prep Ahead + Storage: Refrigerator pickled carrots should be made at least 2 hours before serving, but for best results make at least 24-48 hours ahead. Keep the jar refrigerated and it can be enjoyed for up to one month. Do not freeze.
Serving: 1g, Calories: 35kcal, Carbohydrates: 5g, Protein: 1g, Fat: 1g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Sodium: 805mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 3g