- 1 loaf sourdough bread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pinch salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional ingredients: spices like garlic powder or dried herbs like parsley, oregano, or basil
Preheat oven + prep bread: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Cut sourdough bread loaf into 1 inch thick slices, then cut each bread slice into 1 inch cubes. Place the cubed sourdough pieces into a large mixing bowl.
Add oil + spices: Drizzle olive oil over the sourdough pieces, then sprinkle in a pinch of salt and pepper and any desired optional spices. Toss to combine.
Bake until crispy: Spread the oiled and seasoned sourdough bread cubes onto a baking sheet. Baked in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until the croutons are crispy and beginning to brown, flipping once halfway to cook on all sides. When the bread is done baking, remove from the oven and let cool.
To serve + store: After the sourdough croutons have cooled, serve on top of salads or soups. Store in an airtight container on the countertop for up to 5-6 days.
- Recipe notes: This crouton recipe is made with sourdough bread, but any type of bread can be used. We like ciabatta bread, rye bread, or a thick whole grain loaf for homemade croutons.
- Leftovers + storage: After croutons have cooled, store in an airtight container at room temperature for 5 days, or in the refrigerator for 6-7 days. We do not recommend freezing as the croutons will lose their crisp texture after thawing.
- Nutrition notes: This recipe uses all plant-based ingredients, making it suitable for vegan diets.
Serving: 1g, Calories: 119kcal, Carbohydrates: 21g, Protein: 4g, Fat: 2g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 1g, Sodium: 197mg, Potassium: 48mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 1g, Vitamin C: 1mg, Calcium: 17mg, Iron: 1mg