- 2 cups basil
- ⅓ cup hemp seeds
- 2 whole garlic cloves
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup cheese, or nutritional yeast
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- Optional: squeeze of fresh lemon juice
Wash and prep the basil: First, gently clean any dirt from the basil by running under cold water. You can do this up to 4 days in advance and then store in a wet paper towel in a zip lock bag in your refrigerator. Dry the basil by laying it flat and pressing it between two kitchen towels or using a salad spinner.
Blend the greens, hemp seeds, garlic, and oil: Next, add the basil, hemp seeds, and garlic cloves to a food processor and pulse. As you're pulsing the ingredients, drizzle in olive oil and continue to pulse until the ingredients are finely chopped and coated in oil.
Add cheese, spices, and lemon juice: Finally, add in the remaining ingredients and taste. Adjust any seasonings as needed to meet your preferences.
- Make it vegan: Make this pesto recipe vegan by using dairy-free parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast.
- Tools needed: food processor or blender, knife set, cutting board
- Prep ahead: Make this simple pesto up to 2-3 days before serving, or freeze until ready to use.
- Leftovers and storage: Leftover pesto should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days, and in the freezer for up to 2 months (possibly longer).
- Nutrition notes: This recipe made as written (with vegan cheese and hemp seeds) is plant-based, gluten-free, and nut-free. It is a good source of plant-based protein, fiber, and healthy fats.
Serving: 1serving, Calories: 126kcal, Carbohydrates: 1g, Protein: 3g, Fat: 13g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g, Monounsaturated Fat: 7g, Cholesterol: 3mg, Sodium: 23mg, Potassium: 16mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 1g, Vitamin A: 271IU, Vitamin C: 1mg, Calcium: 38mg, Iron: 1mg