- 1 large banana, sliced and frozen
- ½ cup fresh carrot, peeled and chopped
- ½ teaspoon minced ginger
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- ½ cup plant-based milk
- ¼ cup carrot greens, chopped and washed
- 1 whole medjool date, pitted and soaked
- Optional: shredded carrots and carrot greens as a topping
Freeze banana: First, slice banana into small slices and place in the freezer for about 15 minutes to freeze. Freezing the banana means you don’t have to add additional ice to the smoothie to make it cold. After freezing, you’ll use ¾ of the banana for the carrot base and ¼ for the greens swirl.
Make carrot smoothie base: Add ¾ of the banana to a blender with the chopped carrots, ginger, cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg, and ½ cup of plant-based milk (we used oat milk). Blend until smooth, adding ice for a thicker consistency and more plant-based milk for a thinner consistency. When done, pour the carrot smoothie into a serving glass and set inside the freezer until ready to serve.
Make the carrot greens swirl: Next, wash out the blender and add in the carrot greens, the other ¼ of the frozen banana, 1 date, and 2 tablespoons of plant-based milk. Blend until smooth.
Prepare the swirled smoothie: Finally, remove the carrot smoothie from the freezer and pour the carrot greens swirl slowly into the glass, using a tall spoon to mix the two colored smoothies together for a cool swirl effect. Enjoy!
- Recipe notes: Freezing the banana will mean you don’t have to add ice to the smoothie; however, if you like a colder and thicker consistency, then add 1-2 ice cubes to the carrot base.
- Tools needed: high powered blender, knife set, cutting board
- Prep ahead: This smoothie is best when enjoyed fresh, we do not recommend freezing and then eating later (it will become very icy when frozen and will not have the same smooth texture).
- Nutrition notes: This smoothie uses all plant-based ingredients and is gluten-free. It is high in fiber and, depending on which plant-based milk you choose, it may also be a good source of plant-based protein. Feel free to add your own plant-based protein powder for a more filling smoothie.
Serving: 1serving, Calories: 210kcal, Carbohydrates: 47g, Protein: 4g, Fat: 2g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 1g, Sodium: 58mg, Potassium: 564mg, Fiber: 5g, Sugar: 27g, Vitamin A: 337IU, Vitamin C: 24mg, Calcium: 238mg, Iron: 3mg