Beet Greens Vegetable Soup Recipe
Beet Greens Soup, a simple vegetable soup with beets, carrots, and white beans and mixed with leafy beet greens. A tasty soup recipe to reduce food waste!
- 1 bunch beets with greens
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 whole celery stalks, with leaves, sliced
- 3 whole garlic cloves, minced
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1 15-ounce can white (cannellini) beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
Prepare beet tops: Cut beetroot from the stem. Cut the beet greens from the stems and place in a colander or bowl to wash, rinse well to remove excess dirt, then set aside to dry.
Prepare and simmer soup: To a large soup pot over medium heat, add oil. After oil is heated, add diced onion, celery slices, and sliced carrots to the pot and cook until onions and celery start to soften and carrots begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add minced garlic and cook 2 minutes more, until it begins to brown and become fragrant. Add bay leaves and vegetable broth, white beans, and a pinch of salt and pepper and increase heat to high and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
Serve soup: When soup has cooked for 30 minutes, remove from heat and stir in beet greens. Add red pepper flakes and more salt and pepper to taste.
Slow cooker instructions: Add the oil, onion, celery, carrots, white beans, bay leaves, broth, and salt and pepper to the pot. Cook on medium for 1 hour, then stir in beet leaves and season to taste before serving.
Pressure cooker instructions: Add the oil, onion, celery, and carrots to the pot and, using sauté setting, cook until vegetables begin to soften. Then add the beans, bay leaves, broth, salt, and pepper, and cook on the high pressure soup setting for 10 minutes. Remove lid carefully, stir in the beet greens, and season before serving.
- Notes: Beet stems are edible. Instead of throwing beet stems out, you can add to soup stocks for extra flavor, like in our Beet Top Vegetable Broth. In this recipe you can add the stems to the broth and then remove before serving (use twine to tie them together for easy removal).
- Tools Needed: knife set, cutting board, colander or large mixing bowl, large soup pot
- Prep Ahead: Wash and dry beet leaves up to a day before serving. We do not recommend washing and drying beet leaves too far ahead of cooking because they will become wilted. To prevent wilting of cut beet leaves, place the stems in a cup of water in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use them.
- Leftovers and Storage: To store leftovers, first bring soup to room temperature and then store in airtight containers. This soup will keep in the refrigerator for up to four days and in the freezer for up to 2-3 months (or more). To rethaw, simply place in refrigerator overnight or on the counter for a few hours before reheating.
- Nutrition Notes: This simple vegetable soup with beet greens is completely plant-based (great for vegans), gluten-free, and contains a small amount of oil that you can substitute with water if you’re looking for an oil-free soup recipe. It is high in fiber, iron, and vitamin K.
Serving: 1serving, Calories: 83kcal, Carbohydrates: 13g, Protein: 1g, Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2g, Trans Fat: 1g, Sodium: 1917mg, Potassium: 164mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 7g, Vitamin A: 7056IU, Vitamin C: 5mg, Calcium: 24mg, Iron: 1mg