- 1 cup beet tops, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 small red chilis, deseeded and finely chopped (about 1 tablespoon)
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper to taste
- Optional: cumin, paprika, or lemon juice to taste
Add ingredients to a bowl: In a medium mixing bowl, combine the chopped beet tops, dried oregano, chopped garlic, chopped chilis, olive oil, and red wine vinegar. Slowly add the salt and pepper, stopping to taste test to ensure it’s not oversalted. Mix well to combine all ingredients.
Let the sauce rest: Let the chimichurri rest for a minimum of 10 minutes before serving, but for best results make the beet top chimichurri 30 minutes ahead of serving so the flavors have time to reach their full potential.
Serve: Serve on top of roasted vegetables, plant-based burgers or sausages, mix into soups and stews, or as a dipping sauce for bread or raw veggies. Chimichurri can also be used as a marinade for vegetables.
- Notes: We highly recommend taking the time to finely chop all ingredients and mix together in oil rather than making the chimichurri in a food processor or blender. Traditional chimichurri is a looser consistency, with small bits of herb, garlic, and spices suspended in oil — not a thick herb sauce like you would get when blended. If you are using a blender, simply pulse the dry ingredients and then add to oil after to get the right consistency.
- Tools Needed: kitchen knife set, glass mixing bowls
- Prep Ahead and Storage: Make the chimichurri up to 3 days ahead of time and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Remove from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before serving to bring to room temperature. You can freeze chimichurri for up to one month, possibly more.
- Nutrition notes: Chimichurri nutrition information is estimated without optional ingredients.
Serving: 1serving, Calories: 64kcal, Carbohydrates: 1g, Protein: 1g, Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 5g, Sodium: 152mg, Potassium: 41mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 1g, Vitamin A: 206IU, Vitamin C: 9mg, Calcium: 7mg, Iron: 1mg