- 1 bunch carrots with stems and leaves
- 1 medium onion, peel removed
- 4 whole celery stalks
- 4 whole garlic cloves
- 1 cup carrot peels, optional
- 2 single bay leaves
- 12 cups water
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- Optional: Other dried or fresh herbs, any spices on hand
Prepare carrot greens: Cut carrots roots from stem, reserving carrot leaves and stem for broth. Save the carrot root for another dish, or you can add them to the broth (or if you only have carrot peels, add the peels to the broth). Place the carrot greens on the stems in a colander or bowl and rinse well to remove excess dirt.
Simmer the broth: Add the carrot greens, onion, celery, garlic, bay leaves, water, salt and pepper, and any other optional vegetables, herbs, and spices to a large soup pot. Bring the water to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 45 minutes.
Strain the broth: Once cooked, remove from heat and let cool and then strain the vegetables* and reserve the broth in a glass container to use for soups and for cooking beans or grains.
- Recipe notes: *Carrot stems are edible, however they are often very tough to chew. We use them in broths to bring flavor to the dish but then remove before serving the broth. **Compost strained vegetables, if possible.
- Tools needed: large soup pot, knife set, cutting board, large glass jars for storage
- Storage tips: Store broth in the refrigerator if using within 4 days, otherwise freeze broth in glass jars for 2-3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight or on the counter for a few hours before using.
- Nutrition notes: This homemade vegetable broth recipe is completely plant-based and uses food scraps, which reduces your overall household food waste. If made with only a pinch of salt, it is also low in sodium.
Serving: 1serving (1 cup), Calories: 16kcal, Carbohydrates: 4g, Protein: 1g, Fat: 1g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 1g, Sodium: 35mg, Potassium: 107mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 2g, Vitamin A: 4745IU, Vitamin C: 3mg, Calcium: 21mg, Iron: 1mg