- 1 pound cucumbers spears
- ¼ cup dill, or other herbs
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 2 whole garlic cloves, sliced thin
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Cut the cucumbers: Wash cucumbers into and cut into ¼ inch (1/2 cm) slices or for spears, cut each cucumber into four pieces lengthwise.
Prepare the pickling jar: Add cut cucumbers to a jar tall enough to stand spears (if using) with some room above for brine. Add dill or other desired herbs, mustard seeds, garlic, and red pepper flakes.
Prepare and add the brine: In a medium saucepan bring the water, vinegar, salt, and sugar to a boil. Once boiling, pour into the jar until the liquid completely submerges the cucumbers. Close the lid on the jar tightly.
Pickling instructions: Let the jar cool on the counter until it reaches room temperature. Once cooled, put the jar into the refrigerator and let the cucumbers pickle for at least two hours before serving, but for best results serve after at least 24 hours. Quick pickled cucumbers are good up to one month in the refrigerator.
- What type of vinegar? White vinegar, red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar, and apple cider vinegar are the best vinegar choices for this pickled vegetable recipe. We used red wine vinegar in the post instructional photos.
- Recommended jar: Because cucumbers are a tall vegetable, choose a tall jar so that they fit with about ½ - 1 inch (2-3 cm) space below the lid.
- Other recommended tools: small saucepan, cutting board, knife set, glass jars
- Prep ahead and storage: Refrigerator pickled cucumbers should be made at least 2 hours before serving, but for best results make at least 24-48 hours ahead. Keep pickled cucumbers refrigerated and they can be enjoyed for up to one month. Do not freeze pickled cucumbers.
- Nutrition notes: Nutrition information is calculated with the full amount of salt and sugar from the pickling brine, however the actual amounts absorbed by the cucumbers is much less.
Serving: 1g, Calories: 30kcal, Carbohydrates: 3g, Protein: 1g, Fat: 1g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 1g, Sodium: 299mg, Potassium: 112mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 1g, Vitamin A: 192IU, Vitamin C: 3mg, Calcium: 23mg, Iron: 1mg