- 8 ounces pasta, bucatini, fettuccine, etc.
- 1 generous pinch salt, for pasta boiling water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 whole garlic cloves
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes, to taste
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 pound clams, soaked and cleaned
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, from 1 lemon
- 1 pinch salt and pepper, to taste
Boil pasta: Boil pasta in lightly salted water until al dente (slightly firm), about 8 minutes (or according to package instructions).
Make white wine sauce: Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic cloves and cook 1-2 minutes, or until garlic gives off its strong aroma. Add white wine and cook until the liquid starts to boil, then add clams to the pan and sprinkle with red pepper flakes. Cook over medium heat until all of the clams open wide. If any clams do not open after 5-7 minutes, remove them to the trash.
Add pasta and season: When pasta is done, reserve about 1/2 cup of pasta water and set aside. Then drain pasta and add to the pan with the clams and white whine sauce. Mix the pasta with the white wine and clams, adding a small amount of pasta water to the pan to help thicken the sauce. Cook 1-2 minutes and remove from heat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper (to taste), add fresh chopped parsley, and a squeeze of fresh lemon before serving.
- Clam safety tips: Clean clams before cooking by adding them to a bowl of lightly salted cool water for 10-15 minutes, and then throw out water before cooking. Do not use any clams that are open and do not close when flicked (meaning the clams are likely dead). Throw out any clams that do not open after 5-7 minutes of cooking.
- Leftovers and storage: Store in an airtight container after pasta has cooled. Pasta can be refrigerated and consumed up to four days after making, however remove clam meat from the shells and add back into pasta before reheating. Do not freeze as pasta will not retain its texture after thawing.
- Nutrition notes: Nutrition is calculated without salt for pasta boiling water.
Serving: 1serving, Calories: 123kcal, Carbohydrates: 6g, Protein: 4g, Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 5g, Trans Fat: 0.003g, Cholesterol: 5mg, Sodium: 299mg, Potassium: 291mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 3g, Vitamin A: 1568IU, Vitamin C: 27mg, Calcium: 39mg, Iron: 2mg