Spicy Peanut Quinoa Bowl
Spicy Peanut Quinoa Bowl, a simple grain bowl with quinoa, spinach, chickpeas, avocado, peanuts, and a Spicy Peanut Sauce drizzle. Full of flavor and oh-so easy!
- 1.5 cups quinoa, dry
- 1 cup chickpeas, about 1 can (drained and rinsed)
- 2 whole roma tomatoes, diced
- ½ medium red onion, chopped
- 2 cups spinach
- ½ cup roasted peanuts
- 1 whole avocado, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, as garnish
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
Make spicy peanut sauce: In a medium bowl whisk together peanut butter, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sriracha until well combined and set aside.
Cook quinoa: Cook quinoa according to package instructions. Typically this means quinoa with double the amount of water (1.5 cups of quinoa and 3 cups of water for this recipe) and bringing it to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cooking covered until all water is absorbed, about 15-20 minutes.
Mix salad ingredients: Combine drained chickpeas, diced tomatoes, and chopped onion in a small bowl and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Build bowl: Add about ¾ cup cooked quinoa, chickpea/tomato/onion mixture, spinach, peanuts, and diced avocado to a bowl. Drizzle with Spicy Peanut Sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds and chopped cilantro before serving.
- Tools needed: small saucepan, knife, cutting board
- Prep ahead: Cook quinoa up to three days ahead of time and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Leftovers + storage: Store leftovers in an airtight glass storage container in the refrigerator for up to four days. We don’t recommend freezing this bowl as the fresh ingredients will not keep, however you make a large batch of the Spicy Peanut Sauce and freeze to use as needed.
- Nutrition notes: This plant-based quinoa bowl is an excellent source of plant-based protein, whole grains, and fiber.
Serving: 1serving, Calories: 541kcal, Carbohydrates: 60g, Protein: 21g, Fat: 26g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 10g, Monounsaturated Fat: 10g, Sodium: 703mg, Potassium: 823mg, Fiber: 11g, Sugar: 4g, Vitamin A: 1568IU, Vitamin C: 7mg, Calcium: 104mg, Iron: 6mg