Spicy Butternut Squash Chili
Spicy Butternut Squash Chili, a simple vegan and gluten-free autumn vegetable chili featuring butternut squash, black beans, diced tomatoes, and topped with avocado and cilantro.
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 whole garlic cloves, minced
- 2 whole bell peppers, diced
- 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup corn, .
- 2 cups black beans, about 1 can
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- Optional toppings: cilantro, avocado, cheese, pico de gallo
Sauté vegetables: Heat oil over medium heat in a large soup pot and add butternut squash and onions, sautéing until onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and bell peppers and cook until soft, about 5 minutes more.
Simmer soup: Add diced tomatoes, corn, black beans, cumin, chili powder, oregano, coriander, salt, pepper, and vegetable broth to pot and simmer on medium-low heat for 30 minutes.
Season + serve: Add hot sauce and stir to combine. Serve topped with toppings of choice.
- Tools needed: large soup pot or dutch oven, knife set, vegetable peeler
- Recipe otes: If you'd like to make this vegetable chili less spicy, add ancho chile and hot sauce at the end before serving.
- Leftovers + storage: This butternut squash chili recipe is a great make-ahead recipe because it tastes even better as leftovers. When chili is done and has cooled, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days, or freeze for up to two month (or longer).
- Nutrition notes: This vegan chili recipe is a good source of plant-based proteins because of the beans, and a good source of fiber per serving. It is also high in vitamin C, vitamin A, and iron.
Serving: 1serving, Calories: 139kcal, Carbohydrates: 29g, Protein: 6g, Fat: 1g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 1g, Trans Fat: 1g, Sodium: 639mg, Potassium: 574mg, Fiber: 7g, Sugar: 5g, Vitamin A: 10372IU, Vitamin C: 23mg, Calcium: 78mg, Iron: 2mg