- 2 cups polenta, about 1 package
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 bunch chives, chopped
Cook the polenta: Add polenta and vegetable broth to a saucepan and stir to combine. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low and cover with a lid. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, or until polenta is thick.
Mix in the flavorings: Remove the polenta from heat, then stir in salt, pepper, cheddar, and half of the chives until the cheese has melted and is well combined with polenta.
Garnish and serve: Top the polenta with remaining chives and serve as a side dish or as a base for stews or roasted vegetables.
- Tools needed: large saucepan, wooden spoon, cheese grater, knife set
- Consistency notes: If polenta is too thick, stir in more broth or water and stir until desired consistency
- Leftovers and storage: Let polenta cool and store in an airtight container for up to four days. Reheat in a sauce pan, stirring in broth or water until smooth.
Serving: 1serving, Calories: 365kcal, Carbohydrates: 67g, Protein: 10g, Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 14mg, Sodium: 1043mg, Potassium: 123mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 3g, Vitamin A: 856IU, Vitamin C: 1mg, Calcium: 102mg, Iron: 1mg