Wasabi Ginger Deviled Eggs
Wasabi Ginger Deviled Eggs, a Japanese twist on the American classic. Made with farm fresh eggs, tangy wasabi, minced ginger, and topped with sesame seeds and pickled ginger, these spicy deviled eggs are a perfect alternative to the Easter Sunday tradition.
- 1 dozen large eggs
- ¼ cup mayonnaise, regular or vegan
- 1 teaspoon wasabi paste, adjust to desired spicyness
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- ½ teaspoon vinegar, white or white wine vinegar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons pickled ginger, for garnish
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds, for garnish
Boil eggs: Place eggs in a large pot or dutch oven and add water until it is one inch above the top of the eggs. Bring to a rolling boil for 5 minutes and then remove from heat and cover with a lid, letting them sit for 10 minutes. Transfer the eggs to a bowl of ice water to cool them down, then dry and peel. Eggs can be stored for up to 5-6 days before using.
Make yolk filling: Cut the boiled eggs in half (careful not to tear whites) and remove yolks to a small bowl. Add mayonnaise, wasabi paste, minced ginger, vinegar, and salt and mix well with a fork or pulse in a food processor until mixed.
Fill eggs with yolk filling: Scoop wasabi egg yolk filling into the egg halves (about 1 teaspoon) and top with slices of pickled ginger. Sprinkle with black sesame seeds and serve.
- Prep ahead: The eggs can be prepped up to 4-5 days ahead of time. The egg yolk filling can be prepared ahead of serving as well, however will harden over time. Mixing a bit of water will help it to retain its creaminess, but for the freshest taste wait to mix the filling until right before serving.
- Leftovers and storage: Deviled eggs can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days, but for freshest flavor I recommend eating within three.
Serving: 1serving (2 egg halves), Calories: 98kcal, Carbohydrates: 1g, Protein: 6g, Fat: 8g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2g, Trans Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 166mg, Sodium: 117mg, Potassium: 76mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 1g, Vitamin A: 241IU, Vitamin C: 1mg, Calcium: 28mg, Iron: 1mg