Salted Honey Fig Toast
Salted Honey Fig Toast, a simple toast recipe with whipped vanilla ricotta, fresh figs, and drizzled honey on seedy toast. A light and sweet breakfast or snack!
This simple four-ingredient Salted Honey Fig Toast recipe combines the season’s freshest figs with a bit of whipped vanilla ricotta on top of seedy, hearty toast. It’s then topped off with a drizzle of honey and flaked sea salt for that oh-so delicious sweet and salty combination.
👉 Ready for the super simple fig and ricotta toast recipe? Let’s do it!
- Hearty grain bread: A good, hearty grain bread is the best toast, but any type of bread will do for this recipe.
- Ricotta cheese: Ricotta cheese has a slightly salty flavor that pairs well with the sweetness of figs and honey, but you can also use yogurt. To make this recipe vegan simply use vegan ricotta or vegan yogurt.
- Fresh figs: Fresh figs are the star of the show! They're best when in-season, which is May-June and August in the United States (see when figs are in season in your area).
- Honey: A good local honey is our favorite for drizzling, but you can also use maple syrup if vegan.
- Flaked sea salt: A crunchy, flaky sea salt adds texture and a nice flavor contrast to the sweetness of this fig toast.
🥣 How to make (step-by-step photos)
1️⃣ Step One: Make the vanilla ricotta spread
First create your whipped vanilla spread. I used vegan ricotta as my base, but other creamy spreads could include coconut yogurt, Greek yogurt, or Icelandic skyr yogurt.
To do this, simply add the cheese or yogurt to a bowl and add vanilla extract, then mix to combine well and set aside until you're ready to build the toast.
2️⃣ Step Two: Crisp the toast
Next it's time to make the toast. Simply toast your bread in a toaster, or heat it in a pan over medium heat until crispy.
It doesn’t really matter what type of bread you use but I’m partial to anything hearty, seedy, and crunchy for added flavor and texture. The toast used in this photo is an oat and rye blend by a local baker, but any rich and thick toast will do.
3️⃣ Step Three: Build the toast
Next, you’ll top your toast with your cheese (or yogurt) and then decorate it with sliced figs. Fresh figs are great, but if you’re feeling extra then try caramelizing then on a stovetop with a bit of honey or maple.
To top it all off, drizzle a bit of honey (or maple if vegan) and then sprinkle with a small pinch of flaked salt. The salt will take this fig and honey toast up a notch and add depth and unexpected savory flavor.
And that’s it! A super simple toast recipe that is both easy and decadent, that is perfect for both breakfast or an inspired afternoon snack. Enjoy the season’s fresh figs!
🧊 How to store
- Refrigerator storage: We don't recommend making the toast ahead of time because the bread will become soggy from the spread, but you can make the ricotta spread up to 2-3 days ahead of time and then make the toast when ready to serve.
- Freezer storage: We do not recommend freezing, though you can freeze the bread before ready to serve.
♻️ Sustainable kitchen tips
This toast recipe is about as simple as it gets, but there are a few kitchen essentials that make preparing it just a bit easier.
- A set of kitchen knives: a good quality knife set is key to getting perfect fruit slices without losing a finger
- Responsibly-sourced honey: honey is never an ingredient I skimp on because I believe that buying good honey that is source responsibly is essential to making sure our bee populations continue to thrive
- Good sea salt: I never really understood the buzz around artisanal quality sea salt…until I tried a local sea salt and now there’s no going back
🍞 More simple toast recipes
Want more seasonal toast recipes? We've got you covered:
Salted Honey Fig Toast
- 4 pieces whole grain bread
- 1 cup ricotta, or creamy yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh figs, sliced in halves or quarters
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt flakes
- Mix vanilla ricotta: In a small bowl, mix ricotta cheese (or yogurt, if using) with vanilla extract. Mix to combine and set aside.
- Make toast: Toast the whole grain bread until crispy. Then top with the vanilla ricotta or yogurt mix and add sliced figs on top. Drizzle with honey and sprinkle with sea salt before serving.
- Recipe ingredients notes: If figs are not in season, any fresh or dried fruit can be substituted as long as it is cut into bite size pieces (so it’s easier to bit into toast).
- Make it vegan: Use coconut yogurt and either maple syrup or agave in place of honey
- Leftovers and storage: If possible, try to consume toast all in one sitting, as storing toast that has already been topped with cheese or yogurt will mean soggy bread.
- Nutrition notes: This simple fig and ricotta toast recipe is a great breakfast or snack recipe that is high in fiber and fiber. Pair it with a side of fresh fruit and nuts for a balanced light meal.
UPDATE: This recipe was originally publish in September 2018 and was updated for clarity in March 2022.