Roasted Rhubarb Brie Sandwich, a perfect blend of sour roasted rhubarb with creamy and slightly sweet melted brie with arugula and fig jam on toasted bread. Let’s do lunch!
Love rhubarb? Love grilled cheese sandwiches? Make a fancy grilled cheese with roasted rhubarb, melted brie cheese, fig jam, and arugula on a hearty whole grain bread. Fresh, tart, and tasy!
👉 Ready to learn how to make a rhubarb sandwich with brie cheese? Let’s do it!
- Rhubarb: Fresh rhubarb stalks are roasted and then mixed with sweetener to create a spread for the sandwich bread.
- Honey: Adds a touch of sweetness to the roasted rhubarb; can also use maple syrup instead.
- Whole grain bread: The base of the sandwich, a hearty whole grain bread add texture.
- Fig jam: A sweet and tart spread like fig jams adds a nice compliment to the sour rhubarb.
- Brie cheese: A meltable cheese like brie is perfect with rhubarb; taleggio is a good substitute.
- Butter or oil: Helps the bread brown and crisp for a perfect (and fancy!) grilled cheese.
- Recommended tools: baking sheet, glass mixing bowls, large pan for cooking sandwich
👉 All about rhubarb: When to buy and how to cook
Though rhubarb is most often served in sweet dishes it is actually a vegetable and is in season in late spring and early summer (October and November in the southern hemisphere).
Rhubarb’s celery-like stalks are the edible portion, which are often used in traditional cuisines around the world. But don’t eat the leaves! Rhubarb plant leaves are highly poisonous and can cause serious health problem. But the stalks? Go for it!
Rhubarb is most often sliced and roasted in the oven, but can also be stewed or sautéed. The plant has high water density, which means it will release water when heat. For this reason it becomes mushy and spreadable when cooked, which means it’s best mixed with other ingredients or used as a spread.
🥣 How to make (step-by-step photos)
1️⃣ Step One: Roast rhubarb
The first step to making this sandwich is to roast the rhubarb. To do this, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
Prep the rhubarb by rinsing and slicing each rhubarb stalk into 1/2 inch thick pieces, which usually means slicing them once down the middle.
Once sliced, arrange the cut rhubarb on a baking sheet and bake until they are soft and mushy, bout 20 minutes. Then remove them from the oven, add the them to a bowl with honey and mix to combine.
2️⃣ Step Two: Build the rhubarb sandwich
When the rhubarb is roasted, it’s time to build and cook the sandwich.
First spread one slice of the bread with the rhubarb honey mixture and spread once slice with fig jam. Top once bread slice with brie cheese and a bit of arugula, and then combine the sandwich.
3️⃣ Step Three: Cook the sandwich
To cook the sandwich, add the butter (or oil) to a large pan and heat until it sizzles.
Place the brie sandwich onto the pan and cook until the bread begins to crisp, about 2-3 minutes. Then flip the sandwich and cook the other side of the bread until it is browned.
Then remove the sandwich from the pan, and enjoy!
🧊 How to store
This fancy grilled brie cheese sandwich is a great make ahead recipe that’s delicious as leftovers. Here’s how to store it for best results.
- Refrigerator storage: Store leftover sandwiches in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to four days. To reheat simply heat sandwich in a pan for 2-3 minutes each sides.
- Freezer storage: We don’t recommend freezing as the texture of the bread and cheese will not be best after thawing.
🍞 More fancy toast and sandwich recipes
Want more delicious toast recipes? We’ve got you covered:
- Ricotta Toast with Basil Marinated Cherries
- Open Faced Tapenade and Sunny Egg Sandwich
- Salted Honey Fig Toast
FREE MeAL PLANNING GUIDE
Roasted Brie Rhubarb Sandwich
- 2 stalks rhubarb
- ½ tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 1 pat butter or ½ teaspoon olive oil
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 1 tablespoons fig jam
- 2 ounces brie cheese thinly sliced
- ¼ cup arugula
- Roast rhubarb: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Rinse and slice rhubarb into 1/2" thick pieces. Arrange on oiled baking sheet and baked about 20 minutes or until soft and mushy. Remove from pan and place in a bowl, then add honey and mix to combine.
- Build sandwich: Spread one slice of the bread with the rhubarb honey mixture and spread the other slice with fig jam. Top once bread slice with brie cheese and a bit of arugula, and then stack the bread slices to build the sandwich.
- Cook sandwich: To cook the sandwich, add the butter (or oil) to a large pan and heat until it sizzles.Place the brie sandwich onto the pan and cook until the bread begins to crisp, about 2-3 minutes. Then flip the sandwich and cook the other side of the bread until it is browned.
- Leftovers and storage: Store ingredients separately (store the rhubarb in an airtight container in the refrigerator) for up to five days, building and toasting a new sandwich at each serving.
UPDATE: This recipe was originally published in June 2018 and was updated for clarity in April 2022.