Roasted Cauliflower Chickpea Salad, a simple roasted vegetable salad topped with cranberries, pumpkin seeds, and a homemade za’atar vinaigrette. A deliciously easy and flavorful winter salad!
This recipe is sponsored by OXO and California Olive Ranch; however, all opinions are my own.
Do you ever feel like winter salads can be a bit…boring? You’re not alone. When the farmers markets are bare and you’re working with limited ingredients it can seem like salads are only meant for summer.
But I’m here to tell you that with a little creativity — and a few unique OXO salad tools and California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil — you can turn winter produce into an exciting and healthy simple salad.
Are you ready to learn how to make a simple salad the star of your weeknight meals? Let’s do it!
How to take your salads next level with OXO and California Olive Ranch
Whether you’re a salad connoisseur or are just getting started on your salad-making journey, there are a few ingredients and tools that make preparing seasonal salads a cinch.
First, make sure you have the right tools. Here at Fork in the Road we live by the motto of “less, but better” when it comes to our kitchen tools. Keeping a minimalist kitchen is key, so we only use kitchen tools that are a) multi-purpose, and b) good quality.
That’s why OXO is our go-to brand for all thing’s kitchen gadgets. Their ergonomic design-minded tools are perfect for the minimalist green eater who wants to buy quality once to reduce waste in the kitchen. And that’s why the OXO Salad Spinner and Salad Dressing Shaker are the perfect pair for creating simple seasonal salads any time of year. The Salad Spinner washes and dries greens in seconds so you don’t have to worry about your dressing getting watered down (to stop the spinning motion instantly, just press the button).
In addition to having great tools, it’s also essential to focus on quality ingredients when preparing simple salads. That’s where California Olive Ranch comes in — their high-quality extra virgin olive oils are produced by olive farmers in California, Argentina, Chile, and Portugal, using only the best olives for that rich and robust extra virgin olive oil flavor that you crave in your dressings.
Their rich extra virgin oils lend a perfect flavor pairing for simple winter salads, like this simple cauliflower and fennel winter greens salad.
How to make Roasted Cauliflower Chickpea Salad
First, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prep your vegetables for roasting by combining cauliflower florets and chickpeas with turmeric, smoked paprika, and olive oil in a large mixing bowl. Spread the vegetables on a baking sheet and roast in the oven until the cauliflower is golden brown, about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, prep the homemade za’atar dressing by combining the California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil, sherry vinegar, stone ground mustard, za’atar seasoning, and a pinch of salt and pepper in the OXO Salad Dressing Shaker. Shake well to combine and set aside.
Finally, it’s time to plate your salad. Add washed butter lettuce to your plate and top with roasted vegetables, sliced shallots, dried cranberries, and pumpkin seeds. Add a sprinkle of za’atar seasoning and top with the homemade za’atar dressing.
And that’s it! A simple roasted vegetable salad with a homemade vinaigrette that’s ready in under 40 minutes.
Roasted Cauliflower Chickpea Salad: Tips, tricks, and tools
This roasted cauliflower and chickpea salad is simple to make, but there are a few tips and tricks for streamlining preparation:
- Prep ahead: roast the cauliflower and chickpeas and make the homemade za’atar vinaigrette ahead of time to make prepping this salad super easy
- Make more dressing than you’ll need: make extra dressing in the OXO Salad Dressing Shaker and store in the refrigerator to use throughout the week on simple side salads with lunch and dinner
- Get creative with spices and herbs: add fresh or dried herbs to your homemade dressings, or a squeeze of lemon or orange for a varied flavor kick. Test out different California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oils for different depth of flavors.
We hope you love this Roasted Cauliflower Chickpea Salad, it’s:
- A great meal prep option for work lunches throughout the week
- A simple weeknight meal that comes together in under 40 minutes
- A great green eating recipe as it uses preserved ingredients (canned chickpeas) and homemade dressing, which reduces packaging of pre-made dressing bottles
Did you make this Roasted Cauliflower Chickpea Salad? Leave a comment below and rate the recipe to let us know how it turned out. Save this simple roasted vegetable salad recipe for later by pinning to your favorite winter Pinterest board and make sure to tag me on Fork in the Road’s Instagram to show me your salad creations!
Roasted Cauliflower Chickpea Salad, a simple roasted vegetable salad topped with cranberries, pumpkin seeds, and a homemade za'atar vinaigrette. A deliciously easy and flavorful winter salad!
For Roasted Cauliflower Chickpea Salad
- 1 large cauliflower head, florets separated
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium butter lettuce heads, stems removed and chopped
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon za'atar seasoning
For Homemade Za'atar Vinaigrette
- 3 tablespoons California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon stone ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon za'atar seasoning
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degree F.
- To roast vegetables: in a large mixing bowl, toss cauliflower florets and chickpeas with turmeric, paprika, and olive oil until well combined. Spread mixture evenly on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 30 minutes, or until cauliflower is browned, stirring halfway to cook all sides. Remove from oven and let cool.
- To build salad: add butter lettuce, roasted cauliflower and chickpeas, sliced shallots, cranberries, and pumpkin seeds to a salad plate and sprinkle with za'atar seasoning. Top with Homemade Za'atar Vinaigrette (see recipe instructions below).
- To make Homemade Za'atar Vinaigrette: combine extra virgin olive oil, sherry vinegar, stone ground mustard, za'atar seasoning, salt, and pepper in OXO Salad Dressing Shaker and shake well to combine
- Tools Needed: OXO Salad Spinner, OXO Salad Dressing Shaker
- Prep Ahead: roast the cauliflower and chickpeas and make Homemade Za'atar Vinaigrette ahead of time to streamline preparation
- Leftovers and Storage: store this simple roasted vegetable salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days; store dressing in OXO Salad Dressing Shaker in refrigerator for up to one week, shaking well before serving again.
Serving Size:1 salad
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 340Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 302mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 8gSugar: 12gProtein: 12g
Thanks to OXO and California Olive Ranch for sponsoring this recipe!