Roasted Broccolini and Asparagus
Roasted Broccolini and Asparagus, an easy roasted vegetables combination side dish. Only 5 ingredients and 30 minutes!
Love broccolini? Love asparagus? Roast them together! This side dish recipe comes together in 30 minutes and only has 5 simple ingredients.
👉 Ready to learn how to make roasted asparagus and broccolini in the oven? Let’s do it!
- Asparagus: one bunch of asparagus will do, which is about 1 pound of asparagus stalks
- Broccolini: you’ll need about 1 bunch of broccolini, which is about 7-10 thin stalks
- Garlic cloves: cut fresh cloves into thin slices
- Olive oil: start with 2 tablespoons and add more if needed to coat the vegetables
- Salt and pepper: adds a dash of flavor
- Recommended tools: sheet pan, set of knives, and a cutting board
🥣 Recipe instructions (with step-by-step photos)
1️⃣ Step One: Prep oven and veggies
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F (200 C). Wash and then dry the vegetables.
- To cut asparagus: Hold the asparagus stalk on the bottom of the firm stem and then pull the top of the spear down until it snaps. Then cut the remaining soft stalk into 2 inch pieces, or roast as long spears.
- To cut broccolini: Similar to asparagus, simply cut or break off the hard stem at the bottom and then roast whole
2️⃣ Step Two: Season and add to baking sheet
Place the broccolini and asparagus on a baking sheet or roasting pan.
Toss the vegetables with olive oil until completely coated. Sprinkle garlic on top, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
3️⃣ Step Three: Bake broccolini and asparagus
Roast the vegetables for 25 minutes or until just browned, making sure to stir the vegetables halfway through cooking time.
If one vegetable is cooking faster than the other simply remove it to a plate and continue to cook the remaining vegetable until it is browned.
Serve immediately, or let cool and save for later as a topping for salads or bowls.
❓Recipe questions + quick tips
To minimize prep on cooking day, wash and cut the vegetables in advance. If you’re using asparagus and broccolini as a topping for salads or bowls, bake the vegetables up to three days ahead of time.
Cut the broccolini and asparagus into same-sized pieces to help them roast evenly. Also, separate the vegetables on the pan rather than mixing them together so you can remove one vegetable if it is cooking faster.
💡 Ideas for seasoning
We kept this recipe simple by using just garlic, salt, and pepper. For more variety, try some of these ideas:
- Fresh or dried herbs: Try basil or Italian seasoning on your veggies.
- Ginger or turmeric: These spices offer maximum flavor and a punch of color.
- A sprinkle of cheesy flavor: Freshly grated Parmesan cheese will complement the garlic and veggies in this recipe. For a non-dairy option, try nutritional yeast or vegan Parmesan .
🧊 How to store leftovers
- Refrigerator storage: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. They will keep for up to 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave or in a pan over medium heat on the stove.
- Freezer storage: Store leftovers in an airtight container or freezer-friendly bag for up to one month. Place in refrigerator for 24 hours to thaw, then reheat in a pan or place in the oven for 10-15 minutes to recrisp the vegetables.
♻️ Sustainable kitchen + cooking tips
We’re always thinking of ways to reduce food waste, and we know it’s a priority for you too! Here are our top sustainable kitchen tips:
Use vegetables when they’re in season! The best time to use asparagus and broccolini is when both vegetables are in season! Generally, asparagus is at its peak in the spring and broccoli is available throughout winter so the late spring months are best. Click here to find out when they are in season in your area.
Don’t toss your vegetable scraps! Save your broccolini stems and leaves – yes, they’re edible! Try our Broccoli Stem Pesto with your broccolini stems for a no-waste flavor twist.
👉 More broccolini and asparagus recipes
Do you need more asparagus and broccolini in your life? Try these delicious recipes:
Roasted Broccolini and Asparagus
- 1 bunch asparagus about 1 pound
- 1 bunch broccolini about 7-10 stalks
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- Prep oven and vegetables: Preheat oven to 400 degrees (200 C). Wash broccolini, then cut the hard part of the bottom of the stems. Wash asparagus, then snap the top part of the stalk from the hard stem. Then cut into 2” inch pieces.
- Roast vegetables: Arrange the cut asparagus and broccolini on a roasting pan. Drizzle the with olive oil, then toss until evenly coated. Top with sliced garlic, salt, and pepper. Roast in preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until browned. Stir halfway through cooking time.
- Serve: Remove pan from oven, arrange asparagus and broccolini on a plate and serve immediately as a side dish; or let cool and use as a topping for salads or bowls.
- Tools needed: sheet pan, knife set, cutting board
- Plan ahead: Wash and cut the broccolini and potatoes up to three days before cooking. If using as a topping for salads or bowls, roast vegetables ahead of time and then store.
- Storage: Store leftover vegetables in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Freezing and reheating is not recommended.
- Nutrition notes: Nutrition information is estimated for only ingredients in the recipe and does not include additional spices or flavorings. This dish is a good source of fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, and potassium.