Maple Cinnamon Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Maple Cinnamon Roasted Sweet Potatoes, a simple and flavorful baked sweet potato recipe with a sweet twist from maple syrup and ground cinnamon. Only 5 ingredients and 40 minutes!
Love the sweet and savory flavor pairing of roasted sweet potatoes? Then we have the perfect recipe for you: sweet potatoes roasted until golden brown with a drizzle of maple and a sprinkle of cinnamon. You can’t get much more flavorful than that!
Here’s why you should be roasting your sweet potatoes with maple and cinnamon:
- It’s sweet. And savory. It’s a perfect blend of both savory and sweet all in one dish.
- It’s only 5 ingredients. It doesn’t get much easier than potatoes, oil, syrup, cinnamon, and salt.
- It’s easy peasy. Only 40 minutes roasting on a sheet pan, minimal effort for maximum flavor.
Ready to learn how to make this sweet and savory roasted sweet potato side dish? Let’s do this!
🍠 How to make (step-by-step photos)
1️⃣ Step One: Preheat oven and prep sweet potatoes
First, preheat your oven to 400° F (200° C).
Next, wash sweet potatoes and cut into small ½ inch (1.25 centimeter) pieces. The small potato pieces will roast evenly and brown on sides, giving the finished potatoes a crispier texture even when tossed in maple syrup.
👉 Should you peel sweet potatoes before roasting? You do not have to peel sweet potatoes before roasting. The peels of potatoes are perfectly edible and are high in fiber and many nutrients. However, if you do not like the peels of potatoes then feel free to remove them — the recipe will turn out great with or without the peels.
2️⃣ Step Two: Add sweet potatoes to pan with maple and spices
Next, add olive oil to a large baking sheet to coat the surface evenly and then add cut sweet potatoes.
Drizzle maple syrup over the potatoes and then toss with a spatula to evenly coat the potatoes with the syrup. Sprinkle ground cinnamon and a pinch of salt on top.
3️⃣ Step Three: Roast the potatoes until golden brown
Roast the potatoes on the baking sheet for about 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so, until they are golden brown. Finished potatoes will be slightly crispy and sweet, with a wonderful aroma from the cinnamon and maple syrup.
💡 Recipe + ingredient variations
This recipe is simply prepared with just a few seasonings, however you can take it up a notch add make these maple roasted sweet potatoes even tastier!
- Add fresh herbs as a garnish: The sweetness of maple and cinnamon contrasts well with a sprinkle of fresh herbs like thyme, oregano, and rosemary.
- Add crushed pecans or walnuts: Add a sprinkle of crushed nuts like pecans or walnuts to the completed dish for a bit of crunch and healthy fats.
- Make it a vegan substitute for sweet potato pie: Add a few vegan marshmallows for a healthy and plant-based twist on traditional Thanksgiving sweet potato pie.
♻️ Sustainable kitchen tips, tricks, and tools
We’re all about sustainability here at Fork in the Road, so here are some tips and tricks for getting the most out of your ingredients.
Take advantage of sweet potato season! The best time to make this dish is when sweet potatoes are in season, which is July through December in California. Find out when sweet potatoes are in season in your neck of the woods here.
Use your potato ends and peels to reduce food waste! Don’t toss those scraps after cutting — add them to a homemade food scrap broth to flavor stocks for soups and to use as a liquid for cooking grains like rice and farro.
🌱 More roasted potato recipes
- Roasted Sweet Potato Rounds
- Smoked Paprika Skillet Potatoes
- Vegan Roasted Potato Salad with Lemon & Dill
- 2 large sweet potatoes, about 2 pounds (900 g)
- 2 tablespoon oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Optional: fresh thyme or oregano as garnish
- Preheat oven: Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Prepare potatoes for roasting: Wash sweet potatoes and cut into small pieces, about ½ inch (1.25 cm) cubes. Pour onto oil on a large baking sheet and spread around to coat the sheet evenly. Add sweet potatoes to the sheet and drizzle with oil, then toss the potatoes around with a spatula to coat them in syrup and oil. Sprinkle with cinnamon and a pinch of salt.
- Roast sweet potatoes: Roast sweet potatoes on baking sheet for 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes to evenly roast on all sides. Remove from the oven and serve immediately, or cool and store in the refrigerator for later use.
- Notes: You do not need to peel the sweet potatoes before roasting, but if you do not like peels on potatoes then peel before cutting.
- Tools needed: baking sheet, cutting board, knife
- Leftovers, storage, and reheating: Store cooled potatoes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days. Reheat on the stovetop or microwave, or serve chilled.
- Nutrition notes: This roasted potato recipe uses only plant-based ingredients, making it suitable for a vegan diet. It is high in fiber and a good source of vitamin A and vitamin C.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 201Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 68mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 4gSugar: 18gProtein: 2g