Lemon White Bean Kale Orzo Soup
Lemon White Bean Kale Orzo Soup, a simple plant-based (and flavor-packed!) version of Greek-style avgolemono soup recipe that comes together in under 30 minutes. Easy and tasty!
Love avgolemono soup? This Greek-inspired easy peasy white bean and orzo soup features kale, lemon, and fresh herbs for a vegan avgolemono-style soup that’s big on flavor.
👉 Ready to learn how to make a vegan lemon orzo soup with kale and white beans? Let’s do it!
- Orzo: a thin, oval-shaped pasta that serves as the base of this soup
- White Beans: white cannellini beans add protein and fiber, and a bit of texture
- Kale: fresh kale leaves are torn and stirred into the soup before finishing
- Lemon: fresh lemon juice and lemon zest add a touch of citrus acidity
- Other vegetables: onions, carrots, and garlic add deep flavor
- Herbs: fresh herbs like oregano, dill or thyme for flavor
- Broth: a simple low sodium vegetable broth serves as the soup foundation
- Recommended tools: large soup pot or Dutch oven
🥣 How to make (step-by-step photos)
1️⃣ Step One: Cook vegetables
In a large soup pot over medium heat, sauté onion and carrots with olive oil until soft, about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and oregano and cook 2-3 minutes more.
2️⃣ Step Two: Simmer orzo in broth
Then add drained white beans, orzo, and vegetable broth and increase heat to bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a low simmer and cook covered for 10 minutes.
3️⃣ Step Three: Add kale and seasonings
After soup has cooked and has thickened, add kale, lemon juice and lemon zest, and salt and pepper to taste.
Let cook 2-3 minutes more so kale softens, then remove from heat and serve with sprinkled lemon zest.
❓ Recipe questions + quick tips
Orzo takes about 8-10 minutes to cook when added to a liquid like soup broth. If you are adding orzo to a soup, it’s important to use more liquid than will be soaked up by the orzo to maintain a soupy texture.
This lemon orzo soup with white beans can also be made in the an Instant Pot or pressure cooker. Simply cook the onions, carrots, garlic, and oregano on the sauté function, then add the beans, orzo, and vegetable broth and cook on the soup function for 10 minutes. Then let out the steam pressure and stir in the kale and seasonings before serving.
🧊 How to store and reheat
- Refrigerator storage: Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days.
- Freezer storage: Freeze in a freezer-friendly bag or container for up to one month. To thaw, remove from the freezer into the refrigerator for 24 hours before reheating.
- Reheat instructions: To reheat, cook for five minutes on the stove or two minutes in the microwave.
💡 Ideas for serving
- Pair with fresh bread or crackers. Add a side of whole wheat bread for dipping in the creamy broth.
- Add a fresh side salad. Try a simple leafy greens salad like my Simple Cranberry Arugula Side Salad.
👉 More plant-based vegetable recipes
Want more easy vegetable-packed soup recipes? Try Vegan Minestrone Soup and White Bean Kale Quinoa Soup.
Lemon White Bean Kale Orzo Soup
- 1 large soup pot or Dutch oven
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 2 medium carrots sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 single bay leaf
- 8 ounces orzo about 1 cup
- 1 ½ cups cannellini beans from 1 can, drained
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups kale shredded
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice from about 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon fresh herbs dill, thyme, basil, etc.
- Cook vegetables and add broth: In a large soup pot over medium heat, sauté 1 small yellow onion and 2 medium carrots with 1 teaspoon olive oil until soft, about 4-5 minutes. Add 3 cloves garlic 1 teaspoon dried oregano, and 1 single bay leaf and cook 2-3 minutes more. Then add d1 ½ cups cannellini beans, 8 ounces orzo, and 8 cups vegetable broth and increase heat to bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a low simmer and cook covered for 10 minutes.
- Add kale and seasonings: After soup has cooked and has thickened, add 2 cups kale, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1 tablespoon lemon zest, 1 pinch salt and pepper to taste, and 2 tablespoon fresh herbs. Let cook 2-3 minutes more so kale softens, then remove from heat.
- Instant Pot instructions: This kale and orzo soup with white beans can also be made in the an Instant Pot or pressure cooker. Simply cook the onions, carrots, garlic, and oregano on the sauté function, then add the beans, orzo, and vegetable broth and cook on the soup function for 10 minutes. Then let out the steam pressure and stir in the kale and seasonings before serving.