Herb Roasted Zucchini and Potatoes, a simple baked vegetable combination of zucchini and sliced potatoes with garlic and fresh herbs. Easy and flavorful!
Love zucchini? Love potatoes? Roast them together! Try whipping up this tasty combination of roasted summer zucchini squash and crispy potatoes that’s loaded with flavor from fresh herbs and garlic. It’s super simple, super flexible (great as a side dish or as a salad topping!), and is great as leftovers.
👉 Ready to learn how to roast potatoes and zucchini together? Let’s do it!
🥔 Ingredients you’ll need
This recipe requires just a few simple ingredients, including the following:
- Zucchini: Arguably summer’s favorite vegetable, zucchini is abundant in late summer and great when roasted
- Potatoes: We like using small, waxy potatoes like red potatoes, new potatoes, or fingerlings
- Olive oil: Brings out the flavor of vegetables when roasted and helps them to crisp when heated
- Fresh herbs: Any fresh herbs will do, but we love fresh thyme, oregano, sage, and basil (dried herbs can work as well)
- Seasonings: Garlic, salt, and pepper are the main seasonings in this recipe
- Recommended tools: sheet pan, knife set, cutting board
🥣 How to make (step-by-step photos)
1️⃣ Step One: Preheat oven and prep zucchini and potatoes
First, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 C), the wash and cut the vegetables.
- How to cut zucchini: Cut ends off of zucchini, then slice into 1/2 inch (1 centimeter) slices
- How to cut potatoes: Depending on their size, either cut small potatoes in half, quarters, or slices so they are about 1 inch in size
👉 Cutting Tip: We like to cut different vegetables into similar sized pieces so they’re easier to eat when roasted. If they’re the same size, they will have similar cooking times and will be extra crispy!
2️⃣ Step Two: Season potatoes and zucchini
Add zucchini and potato slices to a baking sheet and oss with olive oil until it completely covered.
Combine the oiled vegetables with sliced garlic, salt, pepper and your desired herbs (fresh or dried), then spread the herbs out onto a roasting pan.
3️⃣ Step Three: Roast vegetables until golden brown
Cook veggies in the oven until tender and golden brown. Depending on your oven, this will take about 30-40 minutes.
Toss the zucchini and potatoes about 20 minutes in to make sure they cook evenly.
Remove the roasting pan from the oven and enjoy immediately as a side dish. If you plan to mix them into salads, let them cool beforehand.
🌿 Flavor ideas
Get creative with your herbs and seasonings with these flavor ideas:
- Onion, garlic, and tomatoes: Combine zucchini and potatoes with onion, garlic, and tomatoes before roasting for extra color, flavor, and nutrients!
- Rosemary, salt, and pepper: Sprinkle fresh or dried rosemary over the vegetables, then add some salt and pepper to taste.
- Thyme, fresh basil, and lemon juice: Add new depths of flavor by mixing with thyme, then finishing them off with some fresh basil leaves and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Parmesan and garlic: Zucchini and potatoes taste great with a mixture of parmesan and garlic. You can also try nutritional yeast for a plant-based cheese alternative.
🧊 How to store
If you have leftovers, here’s how to maintain their quality and flavor in storage:
- Refrigerator storage: Store vegetables in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days
- Freezer storage: For the best taste and texture, we don’t recommend freezing roasted vegetables as they will lose their texture when thawed
♻️ Sustainable kitchen tips
We’re all about going green in the kitchen here at Fork in the Road. Here’s how to make this recipe sustainably:
Take advantage of zucchini and potato season. The best time to make this recipe is when zucchini and potatoes are at the height of their growing season. In most parts of the US, zucchini is in flavor in the late summer and potatoes are available year round. Find out when they’re in season in your area here.
Grow the veggies in your garden. Zucchini and potatoes are fairly easy to grow on your own, even in smaller containers. This is a great step toward a sustainable lifestyle – there’s no need to travel anywhere when the veggies are growing in your own backyard!
👉 More roasted zucchini and potato recipes
Looking for more recipes with potatoes and zucchini? Try our other favorites:
- Roasted Zucchini and Green Beans
- Roasted Zucchini and Squash
- Roasted Eggplant and Zucchini
- Baked Zucchini and Onions
- Roasted Potatoes and Onions
FREE MeAL PLANNING GUIDE
Herb Roasted Zucchini and Potatoes
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 pound potatoes red, new, or fingerling
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- ¼ cup fresh herbs or 2 tablespoons dried herbs
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- Preheat oven and prep veggies: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 C), then wash and cut vegetables. Slice the ends off of zucchini, then cut into 1/4 inch (1/2 centimeter) slices. Cut potatoes into 1 inch pieces so they are similarly sized to zucchini.
- Season vegetables: Place sliced zucchini and potatoes on a sheet pan and combine with a drizzle of olive oil. Once completely coated in oil, season the vegetables with sliced garlic, salt, pepper and any dried or fresh herbs.
- Roast vegetables: Bake veggies in the oven until soft and brown around the edges, which will take about 40 minutes. At about 20 minutes into cooking, toss the vegetables so they brown on all sides. Remove from the oven and serve immediately as a side dish, or let them cool and mix into salads.
- Tools needed: sheet pan, knife set, cutting board
- Prep ahead: Wash and cut vegetables in advance to reduce prep time before cooking.
- Leftovers and storage: Vegetables should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. For best taste and texture, do not freeze and reheat.
- Nutrition notes: Nutrition information is estimated for only ingredients in the recipe, not the additional spice options given. This simple roasted zucchini and potatoes recipe is a good source of fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, and potassium.