Easy Lentil Bowl with Sunny Egg & Spicy Harissa
Easy Lentil Bowl with Sunny Egg & Harissa, a simple lentil bowl with farro, onion, arugula and sun dried tomatoes topped with a sunny egg and spicy harissa.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Main Dish
- 1 cup farro or other grain
- 2 cups lentils
- 1-2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes (in oil)
- 2 cups arugula (or other vegetable)
- 1 tsp butter or oil
- 1 egg (per serving)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp harissa sauce (per serving)
- First, cook farro or grain of your choice (follow package instructions) and lentil. In general, 1 cup lentils or grains needs 2 cups of water. Bring water and lentil/grains to a boil, then cover a simmer over low heat until soft, about 20 minutes.
- While lentils and farro is cooking, heat olive oil over medium heat in large pot or dutch oven. Add sliced onions, cooking 3-5 minutes or until beginning to soften. Stir in lentils and then add cumin, curry powder, paprika, turmeric and sun dried tomatoes. Cook 1-2 minutes more, then reduce heat to low to keep hot until grain is finished.
- Once grain is done cooking and strained of excess water, stir in with lentils and add arugula or other leaf vegetable.
- Remove from heat and scoop lentil and farro mixture into bowls.
- Heat butter in small pan over medium heat. Add egg and heat until white is fully cooked but yolk is running (about 5 minutes).
- Top lentils with fried egg and 1 tbsp harissa sauce.
This recipe is highly customizable, so feel free to play with spice amounts and whatever vegetables you have on hand.
Leftovers & Storage: Leftover lentil mixture can be refrigerated for up to five days. Fry a new egg when heating up leftovers.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 550