Crispy Roasted Sweet Potatoes, learn how to bake sweet potatoes until they’re crispy and flavorful. Only 4 simple ingredients and ready in 40 minutes!
Love crispy baked sweet potatoes? This is the recipe for you! This super simple (only 4 ingredients!) recipe is our go-to method for making browned and crispy roasted sweet potatoes that are perfect every time.
👉 Ready to learn how to make crispy baked sweet potatoes in the oven? Let’s do it!
🍠 Ingredients + tools
- Sweet potatoes: Any type of sweet potatoes or yams will do, and the sweet flavor comes out more with roasting
- Olive oil: To grease the pan and coat the potatoes for a deeper flavor and crispier texture when baked
- Seasonings: We’re keeping it simple with salt and pepper, but we have a suggested seasoning section below with ideas
- Equipment needed: knife, cutting board, baking sheet, spatula
🥣 How to make (step-by-step photos)
1️⃣ Step One: Preheat oven and prep potatoes
First, preheat your oven to 400 degrees F (200 C), then prep the potatoes by first washing them and removed any spuds or blemishes.
To cut the potatoes, remove the ends and slice potatoes into small 1/2 inch cubes for roasting (you do not need to peel them before roasting).
👉 The key to crispy potatoes is to cut them into small pieces! The smaller the pieces of sweet potato, the more crispy they will become. We cut our potatoes into small cubes so there is more surface area to brown and become harder when baked, which results in a crispy texture and sweet center.
2️⃣ Step Two: Spread potatoes on a baking sheet
Next, place the cut sweet potatoes on a roasting or sheet pan.
Toss them with olive oil until completely coated. Season with a sprinkle of salt and pepper, but you can also add other spices like cumin, cinnamon, paprika, or even a drizzle of maple syrup for a fun flavor twist.
3️⃣ Step Three: Roast in the oven until crispy
The last step is to roast in the oven until the potatoes are crispy and brown around the edges. This will take about 35 minutes, more or less depending on your oven, flipping throughout to brown on all sides of the potatoes.
When the potatoes are done cooking, take the baking sheet out of the oven. If eating as a side dish, serve immediately. You can also let them cool and serve on top of salads or bowls.
💡 Seasoning ideas
Salt and pepper are the simple seasonings we used for this recipe, but get creative with your favorite spices. Here are some ideas:
- Cumin, paprika, and maple syrup: add a touch of warming cumin and paprika with a drizzle of maple syrup
- Sweet maple and cinnamon: make this a sweeter side dish by adding cinnamon and maple syrup (try our Maple Cinnamon Sweet Potatoes)
- Paprika, chili powder, and cayenne: add some spice to this dish by roasting the vegetables with paprika and chili powder, then sprinkling a little cayenne pepper on top
♻️ Sustainable kitchen + cooking tips
We care about reducing food waste here at Fork in the Road, and we know you do too! Here are tips for making this recipe sustainably:
Take advantage of sweet potato season! Eating with the seasons is one of the best things you can do for the environment (and your wallet!). Sweet potatoes are in season September through December in California. Click here to find out when they are in season in your area.
Don’t peel your potatoes. You don’t have to peel sweet potatoes before cooking; in fact, the peels of sweet potatoes are not only edible, but full of nutrients. So save your scraps and keep the peels on for a crispier potato.
👉 More roasted sweet potato recipes
Can’t get enough sweet potatoes? Try the recipes:
- Roasted Sweet Potato Rounds (baked sweet potatoes in round slices!)
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Broccoli
- Cinnamon Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Apples
FREE MeAL PLANNING GUIDE
Crispy Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- Prep oven: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees (200 C).
- Prep sweet potatoes: Wash sweet potatoes and remove any spuds. Cut the ends from sweet potatoes, then cut them into small 1/2 inch cubes for roasting (you do not need to peel them before roasting). Arrange the cut sweet potatoes on a roasting pan and drizzle with olive oil, tossing to completely cover with oil and sprinkle with salt, and pepper (and other spices, if desired).
- Roast sweet potatoes: Place sheet pan in the oven and roast the sweet potatoes for about 35-40 minutes, stirring partway through to brown on all sides. You’ll know the potatoes are done when they’re browned and the edges are crispy.
- Tools needed: sheet pan, knife set, cutting board
- Prep ahead: Wash and cut potatoes ahead of time to reduce prep time before cooking. If serving cold on salads or bowls, you can make this recipe up to three days ahead of time.
- Leftovers and storage: Potatoes should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. For best taste and texture, do not freeze and reheat.
- Nutrition notes: Nutrition information is estimated for only ingredients in the recipe, not the additional spice options given. This simple roasted sweet potatoes recipe is a good source of fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, and potassium.