Blueberry Oatmeal Smoothie
Blueberry Oatmeal Smoothie, a thick and tasty breakfast smoothie with blueberries, oatmeal, banana, vanilla, and cinnamon. Topped with a drizzle of nut or seed butter, it’s a complete breakfast…in a glass!
Love smoothies? Love blueberry oatmeal? Combine them together for a morning smoothie! With fresh or frozen blueberries, rolled or quick oat, and nut or seed butter, this breakfast smoothie recipe is a nutritious way to start the day.
👉 Ready to learn how to make an oatmeal and blueberry smoothie? Let’s do it!
- Blueberries: The base of this smoothie, I’m using frozen blueberries but fresh also work
- Banana: Adds a creamy texture; I’m using a frozen banana to eliminate ice (but you can also use room temperature banana and then add in ice so the smoothie is cold).
- Oats: Either rolled oats or quick oats are best; you can use steel cut, but you’ll have a much grainier texture
- Milk: We’re using oat milk, but any milk or milk alternative works
- Add-ins: Ground flax seeds, vanilla extract, and ground cinnamon for a boost of flavor and nutrients
- Garnishes: A few blueberries and a sprinkle of oats
- Ice: Optional; if you freeze the fruit you don’t need ice but if you want ice then 1/2 cup per serving
- Recommended tools: high powered blender
🥣 How to make (step-by-step photos)
1️⃣ Step One: Add smoothie ingredients to blender
Add the blueberries, banana, oats, your milk of choice, flax seeds, vanilla extract, and ground cinnamon to a high powered blender.
2️⃣ Step Two: Blend the smoothie until smooth
Next blend the smoothie on high speed until the ingredients are smooth, about 30 seconds.
3️⃣ Step Three: Garnish and serve
Pour smoothie into a glass and top with fresh blueberries or other desired toppings.
💡 Ideas for serving
- As a stand alone smoothie. Serve as written for a quick and filling breakfast smoothie, or a snack.
- As a smoothie bowl. Add to a bowl and top with nuts or seeds (or nuts or seed butters), coconut flakes, fresh fruit, and a drizzle of honey.
🧊 How to freeze
- Freezer storage: Make this smoothie ahead of time then freeze for up to 2-3 days in an airtight container.
- To thaw + serve: When ready to eat, remove from the freezer and let thaw for about 20 minutes until the smoothie melts from solid and can be enjoyed with a spoon or a through a thick straw.
♻️ Sustainable kitchen tips
Take advantage of fresh blueberry season. Fresh blueberries are typically in season during the summer months, which is June through September in the the US and most of the northern hemisphere.
Use dried or frozen berries in the offseason. On the off season, you can use frozen or dried blueberries in this recipe.
Freeze bananas for smoothies. Slice, freeze, and store very ripe bananas to easily grab for future smoothies or even baked goods.
Buy oats in bulk. Oats are one of the best pantry staple ingredients to buy in bulk, so stock up on a pound or two when purchasing to decrease packaging waste.
🥤 More fruit smoothie recipes
Want more fruit-filled smoothie recipes? We’ve got you covered:
Blueberry Oatmeal Smoothie
- 1 cup blueberries frozen*
- 1 medium banana frozen*
- 1 cup oatmeal rolled oats or quick oats
- 2 cups milk or milk alternative
- 1 teaspoon ground flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup ice if fruit is not frozen
- Garnishes: fresh blueberries, nut or seed butter, shaved coconut flakes
- Add ingredients to blender: Add blueberries, banana, oats, milk, flax seeds, vanilla extract, and cinnamon (if using) to a high powered blender.
- Blend smoothie ingredients: Blend the smoothie ingredients on high until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Garnish and serve: Pour smoothies into glasses and top with fresh blueberries, and other toppings as desired.
- Prep ahead: This smoothie can be prepped up to 7 days ahead of time and frozen until ready to enjoy.
- Leftovers and storage: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 7 days ahead of time. When you’re ready to enjoy it, pull the frozen smoothie out of the freezer and let thaw for a few minutes before serving.
- Nutrition notes: Nutrition information was calculated with all ingredients except garnishes.